Chapter Four

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

The little black dragon that was born a week ago was not the same. Jades' head was higher then my waist, his eyes more defined, wings larger, and teeth sharper. It's surprising how much can change is such little time.

Aya was different. The griffin wasn't as big, since they don't get as big as dragons do, but she has still grown a lot. Her head was a silky brown, her wings multi colored with white and brown, and her chest was a creamy white. 

Dragon Training was my first class of the day. It was probably my favorite. So far we have developed ways to bond with our dragons.

I quickly went into the large Magic classroom, and took a seat in the middle of the classroom.

Our teacher, Professor Noam, started to talk.
"This class, we are going to start on some easy spells. I want you to pay attention closely. Next class we will start class in the Weapons Room, and you will pick an item your interested in. But for today, you will work with harnessing focus and concentration into a spell called, Protectors Field. It is a simple yet complicated spell, the hardest part is concentrating. Now, it should look something like this.."

Professor Noam put his hand out in front of him, muttering a few words under his breath, as a clear sphere formed, floating in front of him.

The class awed.

"Now usually this spell can be used for protecting something, as the name of the spell suggests, and all you need to do is imagine that you want to protect the certain thing in front of you, say the few words that goes along with the spell, and that's it. Now today I want you to get out your books and start practicing. If you need help just ask me. Begin." Professor Noam said as everyone quickly started opening their books and whispering the words under their breath.

I opened my book as I sat at my desk, flipping the papers to the page.

It was actually simple, you didn't actually need to say the words, you could think them.

Putting my hands out in front of me, i mutttered the words, and a small sphere floated in between my hands. It almost looked like a big bubble. But after around a minute, my concentration diminished, and so did the sphere.

The rest of the class we focused on that spell.

I walked to my history class alone, deep in my thoughts. But that didn't block out the whispering of the kids in the hallways saying things they thought I couldn't hear. Weird. Different. Outsider.

I thought having a different dragon would make me actually looked up to, but it was quite the opposite. I kept to myself, avoiding the other people, scared of what they will say.

I just have to prove myself to them. I'll practice every day more then they do. I just have to work for it.

Feeling slightly better, I walked into history class where I sat in my usual spot in the front.

Our History teacher, Mr. Hankins came out of the door into the classroom. He was a tall man, with brown hair, and a bulky appearance.

"Good morning class."

"Good morning Mr. Hankins." the class said in allusion.

Mr. Hankins started speaking. " Today in class is a fun topic. Of course this is History class so.. This weeks topic is about the Battles, History of the Academy, and how the Academy came to be."

I listened intently.

"Around a thousand years ago, magic was let free through out the realms. It flowed in the trees, the air, the water, the birds. Life itself was intertwined with living magic. The Four Kingdom realms' leader founded another realm and opened a portal to the new realm. But, they wanted to use the kingdoms magic for their own purposes. It took more than a hundred years to end this war, since their wasn't just one ruler to persuade. They ended up making a treaty, that forbid most people to use magic. Magic users became minimal, and the practice of magic was slipping away from society. But, after a while, a group of resistants found a new realm full of creatures, like the dragons and griffins who are here today. Most of the people in a group found a creature they bounded to. They ended up calling themselves Riders, and decided to make an idea to open the realm to the Kingdoms realm. They would make an academy, and teach the ones who were chosen to protect the realm against invaders and thief's. The kingdoms agreed. Riders, later on ended up finding the Lake of Truth, and other items to help pick who would become a Rider. As you all know, it became a tradition to pick new recruits every five years."

Mr. Hankins then talked about the trade that used to happen before for a little bit, before we had to go to lunch.

I grabbed my food and sat at the usual table with Lukas, Dylan, Leani, and Ryker.

"Hey", Dylan said as I sat down. The others said a small hello as well.

They went back to talking.

"Did you guys know they have Dragon and Griffin competitions here?" Lukas piped in after finishing his small lunch.

Leani looked at him curiously. "Really? Do you know when?"

Lukas shook his head. "Nah, i'm not sure."

"I heard it's in around a month. There was some talk about it happening around the campus." Ryker said. "And i'm going to win the whole thing!" He added, his face beaming.

"Yeah good luck with that. I heard you fell off your dragon after you tried to impress everyone." I said, which earned laughs from everyone else.

Ryker looked slightly shocked. "You heard about that?"

I chuckled. "Yeah, it's not that big of a deal you know. You were just trying to show off."

The conversation continued, and for once in my life, I felt like i was where i belong.

            •• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

This took a while longer than i wanted it to, but it's finished so that's all that matters. This chapter you got to get to know some of the characters a little more, which i didn't do in the draft, but i'm glad this is done.