Chapter Ten: Beginning of the First Games

(Kye Lenz's (District Six) P.O.V)

The past 24 hours have flown by in a hurry. After the interviews, all the male tributes hopped straight onto a hovercraft, and flew to the arena.

Upon arrival, we were given a private dinner, and then sent to bed. I made sure to sleep right away. There's no point in going into the arena tired. An alarm woke me up, with a timer counting down from 20 minutes. My stylist was there, waiting for me to wake up.

For these games, I had just a simple plain t-shirt, and cargo pants. That's okay, nothing special. If it was fancy, it'd probably be easier for me to be spotted in the wild.

My stylist wishes me luck as the countdown clocks down to one minute. I hope into the glass cylinder which is to launch me up into the arena.

I can do this. I need to make it back home. For my father. I can get through the bloodbath, and then work with my alliance to ensure I don't die.

Before I know it, the cylinder is moving upwards, and suddenly the shock of daylight welcomes me into the arena. I recover as fast as I can humanly muster. It seems as if we're in just a never-ending grass field. Way off in the distance, I can see large stone pillars surrounding the arena. In front of me is the cornucopia, filled to the brim with weapons, survival packs, and other things to help us survive the games. North of the cornucopia is a large forest section – the only shelter excluding the cornucopia. I look at who's around me. To my left is Jace Nicklace – the career from District One. He looks way too happy and determined for my tastes. To my right is Shaw Yepper – the twelve year old from District Eleven.

My alliance is all separate from me. Nick and Plugga are next to each other, around two more tributes away from me, and I cannot see Isaac. I assume he's on the other side of the cornucopia.

The gong goes off. The games have started. I panic, realising I hadn't prepared myself for this. My eye quickly catches on a mace, and I sprint towards it. Thankfully, I am a mediocrely-fast runner, and not many other tributes have made it to any weapons yet. I pick up the mace, and swing it at Clive Normandi. It hits him in the left arm, and I hear a bone break. He curses, and throws his axe at me with his good arm.

(Finbar Metz's (District Four) P.O.V)

A cannon goes off. I frown, normally the cannons don't sound until after the bloodbath is over. Maybe they changed it because there won't be as many deaths these games. I can't see a trident anywhere near me, but there is a spear. It'll do.

William Kendering from District Nine sees me near the spear, and lunges for it. He grabs it and throws it at me straight away, sticking out his tongue.

It was a sloppy, rushed throw. The spear lands on the ground in front of me. William pauses for a seconds, processing what has happened. By the time he has turned to run away, I turn him into a kebab with his own weapon. Cue the second cannon.

Somehow, the cornucopia has pretty much cleared out already. Everyone seemed to have just grabbed what they could and then scattered. Slate chases after the one person who is hanging around. Slate may not be gifted with throwing knives but years training at the academy would've surely helped. The first knife lodges in Darning Elle's back, and the District Eight tribute falls to the floor.

Not willing to risk a mistake, Slate then walks straight up to Darning, twiddling another knife between his fingers. He stabs Darning in the eye. The boy cries out, but doesn't die. Slate must have missed the brain. He doesn't miss the next time though, and stabs Darning cleanly in the neck. His cannon fires, and the bloodbath ceases.

"Three Deaths?" Jace exclaims. "That's extremely disappointing."

"Not really," I counter. "There was only three people who actually drew a weapon, and a whole quarter of the tributes died. Only five people left!"
Jace nods.

(Jennifer William's (Capitol Reporter) P.O.V)

"And that's the end of the bloodbath!" Andrew says.
"Not the most exciting bloodbath I've ever seen, but I can't complain. Just wait for the Final Games!" I comment.

"Let's see where all the tributes currently are!" Andrew smiles. The camera zooms into the cornucopia, where Jace, Slate and Finbar are seated, eating food from their packs. "First we have the career alliance, consisting of Jace Nicklace, Slate Medoff and Finbar Metz, from Districts One, Two and Four respectively. Their alliance is so far responsible for two thirds of all the tribute deaths this year!"

I almost laugh. There's only been three tribute deaths so far in the year however. The camera then cuts into the forest, showing three tributes walking. "We have Nick Aberth, Plugga Frey and Isaac Scales from Districts Ten, Three and Five. I'm not surprised tributes from different districts have teamed up, seeing as its either that or working alone." I Say

The camera cuts to another tribute, also in the forest. Andrew chuckles. "Speaking of working alone, that seems to be what Ash Coralby is doing. He seems to be hunting, for Nick Aberth perhaps? If so, he's not that far off!"

The camera then cuts back into the grass field some distance away from the cornucopia. The final two tributes are there walking together. "Our last alliance is of Clive Normandi from District Seven and young Shaw Yepper from District Eleven. They seem to be so far away from the cornucopia that even though they're in an open field, the career alliance cannot see them."

"That's it for now," Andrew smiles. "Tune in again at the end of the night for today's highlights and for our death recaps. Happy Hunger Games!"

~~

A.N: Yeeeeeeeeah so I killed three people off. I really don't like killing off these tributes seeing as I put so much effort into them, but it is fun to write in the actual games.

Okay, before you read any more, tell me who you think will be the four who escape these games? I like the four who win, they're fun to write as.