Chapter Sixteen: Day Two

(Jeanne Vigil (District Seven)'s P.O.V)

I'm out and about on my feet as soon as I wake up. If I stay in one spot, I'm more likely to be discovered. And there's no hiding in this arena. 

I know I need to be careful. The open clearings in the maze are not to be trusted. But they did alert me that Chelsea and Alice are nearby. If I kill them, then only two more tributes will need to die. Or, I could force them to give me food, something I'm very low on.

I've been trying to make a note on which tributes are still alive. I know Kaitlyn is with Vida and Electrica. Together, they're too dangerous to attack. But, if Kaitlyn is somehow separated from the other two, I could probably kill the two girls.

Kaitlyn isn't to be joked about. She scored an eleven in training and is the daughter of a victor.

Alana is out there by herself. I had hoped that she would be wiped out at the bloodbath. Of all the careers, she's the most formidable. I'll try to avoid her at all costs.

Mahogany is strong but seems to rely more on her use of poisons. I am in a truce with her, but if I need to, I'd be happy to take her down.

Alice and Chelsea aren't the most dangerous combination in the world. The ideal way to take them out will be to take Alice out early and then go after Chelsea. Alice is much more dangerous, plus she can engage in long-distance combat AND closed quarters combat.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the same path Chelsea and Alice are. I hope I can get to them soon enough.

(Alana Jalisi (District Two)'s P.O.V)

I'm lost. This isn't good. I was planning to head back to the Cornucopia today, scavenge the area when it is probably a little bit safer. But now I'm trapped inside this arena, all alone.

I really wish Velvet was with me. We had so much fun together, we just clicked. Now all I can do is win this in her honour.

It's around midday, and I'm still no closer to determining how I can get back to the Cornucopia. The concrete walls of this maze are too high for me to see over. Which gives me an idea. I get to a corner in the maze and use the three walls around me to scale up the maze. After a bit of difficulty, I get to the top, and I can see on top of the maze. If I'm careful enough, it means I can sneak up on tributes this way.

I can see the Cornucopia far behind me in the distance. No wonder I couldn't find it, I was walking further away from it, not closer to it. 

At least now I have an upper hand

(Alice Overwood (District Nine)'s P.O.V)

Chelsea hasn't been as unbearable this morning. All she's done today is talk about her District Eight crush, Darren. And at this point, I'm starting to get secretly invested in the story. But I'm not going to let her find that out.

I'm only worried that someone is going to find us because of her yapping.

Chelsea is leading the way, and I'm behind her with my axe, ready to attack anything that pops out at us. But I doubt anything is going to happen. We seem to be in a very large arena and there's only eight of us in here.

Chelsea is now whistling while navigating the maze. She turns the corner in front of us. Suddenly her whistling is replaced by a scream. I run ahead and turn the corner to see Jeanne Vigil holding Chelsea in a headlock, with a knife inches away from her eyeball. My grip tightens on my axe.