THE GREASER LOVER

Greaser Lover
(noun) one who loves Greasers
-

The final bell of the day rang and I darted out of class, heading for the front of the building. Quickly, I saw my best and only friend-Adam. He and I have been BFFS, or whatever you want to call it, for as long as I can remember. He is the only person walking on this planet that gets me, that understands me.

I walked up to him and we did our signature handshake. People jeered at us saying things like Greaser and Greaser lover. Obviously we ignored all these comments, like we do everyday, but they, the comments, still confuse me. What does it even matter, Greaser, Soc? We are all the same and we all live horribly messed up lives. I furrowed my eyebrows together and put my head down. Adam lifted up my chin gently and looked at me with his dark green eyes and a look of concern passed over his face.

"Katycakes, don't worry about them," he said as we began to walk home, "they're all talk. They wouldn't do anything to hurt you, and you know that. Hell, you're Lisa, Linda and Richard Willam's kid sister."

I kicked the rocks on the street as we walked towards the park. You know those horrible messed up lives I mentioned earlier? Well I happen live one of those lives. I might be a Soc and all, but that doesn't mean I live the high life, sure I have money and a nice house and all but that changes nothing. Nothing at all. "Adam, you of all people should know that Lisa and Linda hate me and so do all their friends. Don't even get me started on Richard and his friends," I stated shuddering.

We were almost at the park when I spotted trouble ahead. "Speak of the Devil," I muttered, nudging Adam's arm with my elbow. Adam's face went pale, making him appear ghost-like, as we approached Richard and his gang of Soc boys, I like to refer to them as a gang of baboons, who like to torment people, particularly Adam and myself. "Adam you should get outta here, maybe if it's just me they'll go easy."

"And leave you for the sharks? I'm sorry Katy but I'm staying by your side whether you like it or not," Adam said stubbornly, looking at me as if I was insane.

"Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in, the Greaser and the Greaser lover," Mark, who was perhaps my brothers very best friend, sneered at Adam and me.

"Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in, dumb and dumber," Adam said, mocking their voices. It was a lame remark but it sure got the prima donna's blood boiling.

"Aw you're gonna get it now," Mark said, barring his teeth at us like a wild animal and cracking his knuckles. Oh wait, it slipped my mind that he isn't like an animal, he is one! An idiot baboon to be exact.

"Richard, just leave me and Adam alone. We don't want trouble," I said facing my older brother. I crossed my arms over my chest, giving him the meanest glare I could muster.

He glared right back at me, "Oh Kathryn, dearest sister, you asked for trouble when you started hanging out with Greaser trash like Adam," Richard said emphasizing the asked and he nodded his head in Adam's direction. He took a step closer to me, getting uncomfortably close.

"Hey, don't call him Greaser trash. The only trash I see around here is you and your gang of baboons," I said pushing him away from me.