HOW COULD YOU?

How could you?
(phrase) used to show that one thinks that someone has done or said something wrong
-

My stomach twisted and turned all day in class as I picked the skin around my fingernail. You'll pay for this. Those words repeated in my head over and over like a broken stereo. Sure Lisa and Linda weren't the brightest people in the world but when it came to revenge they were smart. Possibilities of what they could do to me flew through my head. Spit in my food, hurt Adam, embarrass me. One time when I was six and Lisa and Linda were seven I had been playing with their toys. They got so mad that they tied me to a chair and left me there, helpless, all day long. I was starving and dying for a glass of water and all they did was taunt me all day. That was when they were seven, they are 18 now.

The bell rung and it was time for lunch I rushed out of the class room and sat down at our table, waiting for Two, Ponyboy, Johnny, and Adam to join me. I looked around for Evie, I might as well get to know the girl who is dating Steve a little bit better. I saw her and smiled as I began to approach her. My smile got flipped upside down as I saw Lisa and Linda drag her over to their table and begin to whisper in her ear. They glanced over at me and glared and instantly began to whisper about me more. I furrowed my eyebrows and thought about what they said, you'll pay for this. Was spreading rumors about me really what they planned to do to get back at me? Shouldn't they know that I don't care what people think of me?

"Katy, what are you doing?" A confused Ponyboy stood beside me.

"Oh, uh, nothing," I said in a fluster, "come on let's go sit down."

We made our way back to the table and I halfheartedly listened to Two-Bit talking about some broad and Ponyboy asking stupid questions about girls.

"Are girls always on their periods?" Ponyboy asked.

I snorted, "thank god we're not."

"Yea they always get so moody all the time so it's easy to think that, Ponyboy," Two-Bit said.

I smacked the back of his head, "shut your trap Keith. Girls aren't always on their period when they are moody. Sometimes the male species are just so stupid that they piss us off."

"Hey no need to use my real name! Are you on your period or something?" Two-Bit whined.

I rolled my eyes and smacked his head again, "Johnny and Adam you're the only ones here I actually like." I glanced back in Evie's direction and she was pocketing some of Lisa and Linda's money. This can't be good.
***
The last three hours of the day flew by. Before I knew it I was doing my handshake will Adam and walking to the DX by myself. Ponyboy and Johnny had track or something, Two-Bit was with the broad he was talking about at lunch, and Adam had to get home fast. I kicked the rocks as I walked. My mind was still cluttered with thoughts about Lisa and Linda and now Evie.

I entered the DX just as Evie was leaving. She smirked at me, "oh hey Katy."

"Hey Evie," I said with caution. She shoved me with her shoulder as she exited and I rolled my eyes walking in. Steve was pacing back and forth, clenching his fists. Steam appeared to be coming out of his ears he was that mad.

Sodapop had his head on the counter, he appeared to be, crying? Why was he crying? I stood in entry way and tried to run over by Sodapop to comfort him. Steve wouldn't let me.

"What the hell Steve? Let me go by Sodapop! What's wrong?" A flurry of questions streamed out of my mouth. The entire time Steve just glared at me.

"What the hell Steve? More like what the hell Kathryn! You're a fucking disgrace," he spat. My eyes stung. What did I even do? He never called me Kathryn.

"I'm, I'm sorry? What did you just say? I didn't even do anything wrong!" I yelled brushing past him and towards Sodapop.

He grabbed my arm and yanked me back, painfully. "Nothing wrong," he laughed, "oh my god. You're not like Sandy at all, you're worse."

"You're right, I'm nothing like Sandy, but I'm sure as hell not worse," I said brushing past him once more, this time reaching Sodapop.

"Sodapop, what's wrong?" I asked gently.

He looked up and glared at me, "how could you?"

Thanks for reading everyone! Hope you have and amazing, awesome, great, fantastic, stellar, day! Sorry for such a short chapter but I hope you guys enjoyed! If you did enjoy be sure to leave a comment and a vote. What do you think Katy is hiding? What's Evie's deal? Read more to find out!