Keith's Point of View

Shit! That's all that goes through my mind after Shiro's words. That. And an excuse. Shiro and, surprisingly, Allura, lead me to my room. I need an excuse and I need it now.
   "Sit down," Shiro tells me, and I do it slowly. I. Need. An. Excuse.  "Please talk to us. Something is bothering you. And it's also distracting you. Not just you though, it's distracting the whole team. We are all worried about you. Please tell us what's wrong." Allura sat beside him, not saying anything, but her face was reassuring. I have an excuse. But I don't want to say it. It's better than the real reason though. Shiro starts talking again but I cut him off, "Keith we won't ca-"

   "I'm gay." Shiro and Allura become silent but it is Allura who speaks first.

   "No... you're not.... you're just... confused. Yeah, confused." Her voice becomes more frantic as she stands up. "Tell him, Shiro! Tell him he's not... gay!" Her words cut deep. They hurt. I needed something that hurt worse. I'm about to leave when Shiro grabs my wrist. I wince and turn around hoping he didn't see.

   "Keith," he leads me away from Allura, "She doesn't mean it. People take this kinda of news differently. She's just worried that you could be hurt and treated differently by this. Allura doesn't  want anything bad to happen to you. Look, this is completely okay. We support you and will continue to support you no matter what. I know this isn't a decision. I know it's not a choice. But you do have choices. Like deciding when and how to tell the other paladins. You don't have to do it now. You can wait. But I promise you that they'll accept you. After all, you're the same person you've always been. They have no excuse to not accept you."  Shiro pat me on the back and turned to talk to Allura. He leads her to the door of my room, but says something to me right before they leave. "Hey, Keith. I love you." They exit and I'm left alone, smiling like an idiot in the dark. For the night, the part of me that wanted to hurt is pushed to the back of my mind, and I fall into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.