Keith's Point of View

I wake up. It's dark and the first thing I do is look for Charlotte. I start to worry as she's not in bed with me so I get up and move to my hands and knees, sticking my head under the bed. It's almost impossible to see, but to me, Charlotte is as bright as the sun. She's easy to spot in the dark and I would know her beautiful shape anywhere. I pick up, dust her off, and look into her sparkling violet eyes. My beloved stuffed hippo, Charlotte. She's beautiful and I've had her since I was a kid. She was one of the few things I brought with me and I always sleep with her. Of course the other paladins don't know. They would think less of me, Shiro and Allura probably do, even though he said they wouldn't.
   That's when I spot a piece of paper that wasn't there when I went to sleep. I turn on the lights and look at the note. The scratchy cursive shows Allura wrote it and I'm afraid she's telling me she hates me. I count to ten to calm my heart and slowly read the note.

(In case you forgot what it says😇)

   Dear Keith, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to act the way I did. You see, I was afraid that you would get hurt. I didn't realize that no matter who you love, there is always the chance someone will hurt you. I hope you never find out if what I said is true or not. I believe you will have a good life, no matter what. So, my dear, Keith, I finish the note with one last thing: I love you, and i will always love you. You're an amazing person and I know that whoever you love will be an amazing person too. I never want you to feel like you don't belong. The paladins will praise your bravery as I do now, whenever, and however, you choose to tell them. Goodbye, my boy.

   Halfway through the note my eyes start to water and by the time I'm done, tears are streaming down my face. I'm quick to wipe my tears. Making my bed and placing Charlotte proudly on it, before petting her head, I look in the mirror to make sure I look at least somewhat normal. Determination blocking any sense of self hatred at the sight of myself.
   Opening the door, I head to the control deck and find Allura talking with Coran. I make sure no one else is in the room before running in and giving Allura a hug. Not just a normal hug, but a big "I love and appreciate you so much and I don't know what I'd do without you" hug. This time I stop myself from crying and when I feel her arms on my back I know she understands everything I want to say to her. When I pull away, she wipes under her eyes gently and smiles at me. I give her another smaller, but just as meaningful hug.
   She whispers "I love you, not just as a Palladian, a defender, or even a friend. I love you as a son. You are so amazing and I'm glad that you decided to share this time of your life with me. I wish you good luck and good fortune forevermore." I say thank you and turn to find a confused Coran. Allura and I look at each other and laugh slightly before I wave goodbye and exit the room. I don't know where to go next, and I decide to head back to my room and read, to try and learn more of the altean language. I feel like thing might finally be getting better.

I would come to learn I was wrong. So fucking wrong.