Chapter Two

Pepperpaw hung his head low, sadness overwhelming him.

He felt the weight of his heart being shattered into thousands of pieces.
He saw Tarpaw padding alongside Hollypaw, and guessed they had the same feeling of the embarrassment.
Then he realized if he didn't snoop into their stuff, he wouldn't have been so hurt.
"I guess that serves me right." He bitterly thought.
He stalked beside Blitzpaw, wondering what he thought about Tarpaw and Hollypaw being a 'thing'.
Before Pepperpaw could ask, Blitzpaw had already read his mind.
"What do you think, about, ya know......Tarpaw and Hollypaw being a.....thing?"
Blitzpaw knew Pepperpaw had a crush on Hollypaw.
"Whatever makes Hollypaw happy." Pepperpaw replied gloomily. "Even if it takes my happiness away, seeing her happy is what matters." Pepperpaw smiled a little.
"I'm sure my sister will come around." Blitzpaw gave Pepperpaw a playful nudge. "Plus, they can't be mates until they're warriors." He pointed out. With that, Pepperpaws face lit up. "Yeah, maybe I do have a chance with Hollypaw."
"I don't see why she wouldn't like you." Blitzpaw added.
"I mean, you put others first, and that's like, awesome!"
He noted.
With that, Blitzpaw dashed away to join Oakpaw.
Pepperpaw glanced back at Tarpaw.
"May the best cat win." He thought.
Then, he bounded off to join Blitzpaw and Oakpaw.

***

They were quite near the Gathering now. Pepperpaw s spirit had regenerated and he was in full spring.

As they passed through a bramble screen, they got their first glimpse of the Gathering Place. It was a large island with four fallen trees making bridges.
Each tree was pointing in a different direction, and each clan had their own tree.
As they passed across the trees, it opened up to a beautiful mass of lush greenery, four creeks and a large stone in the middle.
The island was separated into four equal parts, one part for each clan.
Pepperpaw watched as the four clan's deputies sat at the bottom of the Tall Stone and the leaders hopped on the branches.
The first was a strong blueish pelted she cat with white specs.
"This has to be Troutstar of Leechclan." Pepperpaw thought.
Next was a sleek and mottled tom with beige fur and a white nose.
"This is Birdstar of Squirrelclan." Pepperpaw recited in his mind.
Next, a muscular black tom leaped on a higher ledge, and flexed his claws to show his power.
"Windstar of swiftclan." Pepperpaw thought.
And last, a muscular and sleek tabby tom leapt onto a lower ledge.
"And, of course, Tanstar of Leapclan." Pepperpaw sighed, he wanted to go meet the other apprentices soon.
Birdstar stepped up to the highest peak of Tall Stone. "Squirrelclan has been flourishing this Greenleaf. All prey is running well and our warriors are in their best shape.
We have two new apprentices of Squirrelclan, Gorsepaw and Blankpaw." He dipped his head, and went back to his ledge.
Before continuing, the leaders paused to let the cheers go on.
"Gorsepaw, Blankpaw! Gorsepaw, Blankpaw!" Rang out in all of the clans.
Next, Troutstar stepped forward.
"As for Leechclan, all is running well and we have two new apprentices as well. Flowerpaw and Littlepaw."
"Flowerpaw, Littlepaw! Flowerpaw, Littlepaw!"echoed on the Tall Stone.
Tanstar padded a little ways until he reached the very peak of Tall Stone.
"Leapclan has prospered this Greenleaf. We have seven new apprentices here today. Hollypaw, Darkpaw, Tarpaw, Pepperpaw, Lilypaw, Oakpaw, and Blitzpaw." He dipped his head and backed up a few places.
Hollypaw, Darkpaw, Tarpaw, Pepperpaw, Lilypaw, Oakpaw, Blitzpaw!" Cheers came from all four of the clans.
Windstar triumphantly stepped forward, his head held high.

"Show off." Pepperpaw whispered to Blitzpaw.
"Shhhh." He whispered.
"Swiftclan has had tremendous amounts of prey this Greenleaf." He began. "We have prospered very much. We have three new apprentices this Greenleaf. Whitepaw, Slimpaw, and Needlepaw." He triumphantly stepped back.
As the Gathering dismissed, Pepperpaw dashed over to the other apprentices, who were already huddling up.
All seven apprentices of Leapclan squeezed in to see what was going on.
"Hi, I'm Pepperpaw, this is Hollypaw, Darkpaw, Blitzpaw, Oakpaw, Lilypaw, and---" "I can introduce myself, thank you!" Tarpaw hissed. "I'm Tarpaw, most awesome apprentice of Leapclan." He proudly boasted.
"B-but I can't compete with my lady." He quickly added.

Pepperpaw sighed. How could he compete with Tarpaw?
"Even if it takes my happiness away, seeing her happy is what matters most to me." He remembered.
"And I know that if I can make her happy, I'm happy too." With that, he smiled.
"I'm Littlepaw, and this is Flowerpaw." Asmaller white apprentice introduced himself.
"I'm Needlepaw, this is Slimpaw, and this is Whitepaw." A larger brown apprentice spoke.
"I'm Blankpaw, and this is Gorsepaw." A pretty she cat introduced.
"Come on, guys! We gotta go!" Pepperpaw heard Thunderclaw call.
Frantically, she started thinking up a plan.
"Two from each clan meet us on Leapclans lake shore tomorrow night!"
He called as they padded away.

***

Pepperpaw yawned as he awoke late the next morning, remembering everything that happened the night before.

He remembered Hollypaw and him went to the lake shore.

Before anyone else came he asked her why she was so embarrassed for any of the apprentices to see her.
"Didn't you see me and Tarpaw?" She flattened her ears against her head.
"I don't care, as long as you're happy." He soothed her with his words.
"At least I have a good friend like you by my side." She whispered, padding closer to him.
He gulped wondering what would happen.
Hollypaw just curled up beside him and started purring.

He knew he shouldn't get too close to her or else he'd get hurt and turn out exactly like Ashfur, a cat he heard of in nursery tales.
Later on, the other apprentices arrived.
He counted Littlepaw, Flowerpaw, Gorsepaw, Blankpaw, Needlepaw, and Slimpaw all arriving around the same time.
Needlepaw was the first to see Pepperpaw and Hollypaw.

"WAIT. you two are in love?!" He gasped.
Hollypaw quickly stood up, her fur sticking on end.
"It's clear she likes Tarpaw far more than she likes Pepperpaw." Littlepaw said as he emerged from the bushes.
"Who wouldn't?" Slimpaw stated.
"You think I'd love a fleabag like this?! Dirt is more special than this stupid furball." Hollypaw hissed.
Pepperpaws ears slide down. He thought they showed a real connection.
Flowerpaw saw Pepperpaws disappointment.
"Hollypaw, don't you think that's a bit harsh?"
Pepperpaw was glad there was at least somebody who cared for his feelings.
Hollypaw ignored Flowerpaws attempt to sooth Pepperpaw.

"I wish this mange-pelt wasn't even born!" Hollypaw dashed off to the woods.
"Flowerpaw, thanks for defending me like that, but, you can save your breath. She likes Tarpaw, not me." Pepperpaw sighed.
"But you're so much more modest and kind than Tarpaw is!" Flowerpaw stated.
"Ummm..... do you guys need a minute?" Needlepaw stepped back.
"I think the problem's resolved, thanks." Pepperpaw said.

Soon the other apprentices came, and they talked about numerous things.
"Let's do this every half Gathering time!" Littlepaw beamed after they dismissed.
"Yeah, that's a great idea! Next time we can do it on our territory." Gorsepaw said.
"Then ours."Flowerpaw chimed in.
"And then ours." Needlepaw put in.
"And then it comes back to Leapclans territory." Pepperpaw put in as he dashed back to camp before the sun rose up.