Chapter Fourteen

"Oakpaw, you furball," an annoyed voice sounded in Oakpaw's ears.
"Ya know, for a blind cat, you sure are hard of hearing," Oakpaw blinked one eye open to feel amber eyes meeting his gaze.
Oakpaw pushed the amber eye's owner's nose away and rolled over. But, even that couldn't help Oakpaw as he felt the amber eyes tear holes in his back.
"Oakpaw! Being a medicine cat has to do with interacting with kits, too, you know!" Oakpaw's eyes flitted open as he recognized Springleaf's voice that had a twinge -maybe a little more than a twinge- of anger in it.
Sighing, Oakpaw slowly picked himself up and faced a little ginger white-and-brown kit with amber eyes and a paw on his foot.
"What do you want, Lightkit?" Oakpaw said, blinking the stuff out of his eyes as he looked down at the 3-moon-old kit.
"Ummm........ why is Sapkit in your den instead of the nursery?"
Oakpaw listened to Sapkit, his stomach slowly rising and falling.
"He's just visiting," Oakpaw says. "He'll be back in the nursery in no time," Oakpaw tries to push Lightkit out of the nursery, but being as she's almost an apprentice, she had a little tang of sass.
Springleaf had been watching from afar and decided to step in and help Oakpaw get rid of Lightkit.
"Oakpaw, don't we have to sort herbs?" Oakpaw's ears perked up. "Oh yeah! And anyone who stays in the den who's not sick has to help," Lightkit looked up at Oakpaw and Springleaf and turned towards the exit and bounded away as fast as her legs could go.
Coughing noises came from in the back of the medicine den.
Springleaf was the first to react, taking giant leaps and was soon by Sapkit's side.
Oakpaw ran over, but was soon instructed to bring herbs from the herb store to Springleaf.
Sapkit's coughing worsened, and, Oakpaw feared for the worse. Oakpaw was about to go get Tanstar, but Sapkit stopped coughing when Springleaf rubbed his belly and put some marigold in it.
Sighing heavily, Oakpaw lay down and laid his head down on his paws and tried to reclaim his lost sleep from the fitful event that dawn.
"Oakpaw, no sleeping on the job!" Oakpaw moaned as Springleaf prodded him in the shoulder and pushed him. "You need to go to the elders' den and see if they have any ticks or fleas," she instructed. "Then, you can have all the free time you want. Make sure to hang out with your brother, too," she said before bounding off to take a nap of her own.

As Oakpaw walked to the SunStone, he perked his ears up to hear and smell Blitzpaw and Hollypaw dashing over to the SunStone.
"Hey, don't sun yourself without us!" Blitzpaw called as he and Hollypaw jump up and landed on the SunStone right next to Oakpaw.
"Its been so long si----" Blitzpaw was cut off by a terrible but small wailing coming from the medicine den.
Blitzpaw and Hollypaw look at each other and be for they can look at Oakpaw he's already dashed through the bramble screen and left a clump of fur on it.
Oakpaw dashes inside of the den and hears coughing come from Sapkit.
Before Oakpaw can even get to the herb store after touching the kit, Springleaf says, "I have to get Fluffpelt. Stay here," Oakpaw put his paw on the squirming kit's belly. Before he can rub it he feels the kitten stir one last time before all was still. Oakpaw was silent as the kit died.......

Right in his paws.

~~~~~¥¥¥¥~~~~~

Lilypaw saw it all happen.

Sapkit was dead.
She was just stirring from her fitful sleep when she rolled over and let the dawn birds' twitters fill her ears. Wait. That's not dawn birds' twitters.
Lilypaw opened her eyes to see Sapkit in Oakpaw's paws. He was coughing fitfully, as if he inhaled a fox's scent and couldn't handle the stench.
Oakpaw had herbs on his paws and was about to put them in Sapkit's mouth but before he could do just that, Sapkit let out one last fitful cough before he was still, never to stir again.
Lilypaw looked back up at Oakpaw and saw tears form at the corners of his sightless eyes.
Lilypaw quietly crept out of the den while Fluffpelt and Tallfur -minus Lightkit- came and mourned for their son.
As soon as the cold air hit Lilypaw, she saw Blitzpaw and Hollypaw sharing tongues on the SunStone.
Lilypaw didn't want to disturb them, so she went over to Moonpaw, who was grabbing a piece of fresh-kill.
Lilypaw snuck up behind him and was about to scare him when Moonpaw turned around and jumped.
"Who in the---- Lilypaw!" Moonpaw hissed, stopping mid-sentence when he realized that it was Lilypaw.
Lilypaw looked down at her paws.
"I- I was just trying to scare you," she says, but once Moonpaw's gaze softened she looked up at him, eyes full of mischief. "HA! You actually thought I would be that soft! Aww..... Moonpaw really does care! Maybe your warrior name should be Moonsong!" (Don't get any ideas this is my name don't use it)
Moonpaw was furious and playfully swatted Lilypaw's ear.
Lilypaw swatted Moonpaw back, starting a playful fight. Sadly, it didn't last long, as they saw Tanstar approach them. "Moonpaw, it's time for training," Tanstar says, beckoning Moonpaw forward with his tail.
Lilypaw watched them until they were gone, then went over to Willowpaw, since she didn't want to deal with Hollypaw's drama.
"Hi, Willowpaw!" Lilypaw said as she approached Willowpaw, who was gazing into a puddle while making dirt.
"Hi," You Willowpaw said shyly as Lilypaw sat beside her.
"Willowpaw, you're lucky," Lilypaw said as she laid her head down on her feet.
"How?" Willowpaw turned her head towards Lilypaw, confused.
"You have more experience with the wild, so you'll get to be a warrior sooner," Lilypaw said, slowly closing her eyes and opening them.
"Well, I don't think so, being as the last warrior ceremony wasn't too great,"
"Maybe, I don' know," Lilypaw said as she sighed.
"Lilypaw!" Lilypaw turned her head to see Hollypaw dashing towards her.
"I need to talk to you two," she says as she quickly sits down, not even bothering with her position.
"I have a prophecy!"

Heyo, I'm alive, yeah yeah.
I finished this a day late, so, bear with me.
Peace Out~)