Issue 42

I needed to find somewhere safe while the heroes dealt with—holy shit.

My running slowed to a walk. I saw the crown of the Hercules; she was covered in those boarding pods, completely covered like they were dirt and the ship had rolled in it.

I could see a lot of fighting further off, smaller ships carrying heroes blasting the invaders with guns and ammo; but it was like most of our weapons weren't as effective against them as theirs were against us.

I saw an explosion that was like the sun exploding over the port side of the ship- the glorious shining figure of Daystar unleashing his full radiance.

It made me wonder what would make the Pantheon do this sort of job- why risk everything on a daily basis. Was it obligation or morality?

Seeing them out there, I was aware of how much I owed these people.

I'd lived on earth, unmolested by alien invaders, mutant murderers, giant snakes eating cities, because the heroes held them at bay.

It made my troubles seem so trivial.

So what if they had disagreeable personalities or if they had to break a law or two to help those in need- they spent every day preserving my way of life.

Then the wonderment wore off and I realized that they weren't doing so well. Flames guttered over the sky, missiles launched at waves of pods that barely deterred the plant-heads.

Fuck.

I swallowed my growing bravado.

Fuck, fuck—this was a terrible idea.