Juliet's Missing Half

"Why do you run so much anyway?"

I ask as I take a strawberry from the small fruit bowl in my kitchen. Aiden shrugs and takes hold of a small grape, examining its ripe green skin.

"It helps me clear my head keeps me agile, I dunno, I'm under a lot of stress at school with all the mock trials I've been studying for. My dad is a well-known lawyer in Paris. It would be a tragedy to fail at the one thing I was raised around, and sometimes running feels like...like I'm running away from the pressure."

He leans against the counter and hops up until he's sitting on it. Probably exhausted from his run and the long walk we took prior to stopping at my house.

 "And I also love dancing," He admits with a smug smile as if he knows something I don't

"Dancing huh, have you ever had a partner?" I ask. Suddenly feeling jealous of an invisible person who had the ability to hold him close. Even if it were just for a few minutes, I would give anything to hold him in my arms.

But he's my best friend, and instead I can do this. Just talk to him in my kitchen until whatever time he has to leave again.

Because this is what friends do.

"I've only had one partner my entire life. I danced with him once when he was a little boy and again when he became a man, yet both times felt exactly the same and I knew no one else could compare," Aiden says with a small sigh and looks into my eyes, but I stood there confused.

"When you were little? Who? I could have sworn I let no one close to you," He rolls his eyes and laughs his beautiful lighthearted giggle at the memory of my protective self. He bites a small piece of grape with a shy smile as he watches his feet sway underneath him.

Just watching him put my mind into disarray.

Was his smile directed towards that man he was talking about?
If so who was he?