II - Wendigo

[12 YEARS AGO - LAWRENCE, KANSAS]

You stumbled across the psychic's abode and rushed inside. The door swung open as you tripped through the entryway, still uneasy about what happened 15 minutes ago. You're chest heaved up and down as you tried to catch your breath. You leaned against the wall and slumped to the floor into a ball. 

"Hold on," a kind female voice said for the other room. A short woman entered the room with a frown on her face. "Oh dear," she whispered as she rushed over to your side. You tried to muffle your sobs, not wanting to be rude. "You must be Y/n. Come on, dear. Let's go sit in my spare office. I don't want my customers to see a crying girl as soon as they walk in," Missouri joked with a sad smile. When didn't reply or show any signs of acknowledgement, Missouri's brow creased with worry.  

"Ooh," she breathed to herself and collected her composure. She offered you a hand to help you up, which you took, and lead to you a cozy room in the back. "Just make yourself comfortable," She said from the doorway. "I'll be right back when I'm done with this client." 

You looked at her blankly as she walked away. You were shaken to the core. Your father...he, he was murdered right in front of you. You looked around the room. Beautiful drapes covered the windows, and a cute furniture set was placed in the middle of the room. 

You sat on the loveseat and wrapped your arms around your stomach, trying to calm your shaking body. A sob racked your body, so you brought your knees up to your chest and hugged them. The feeling of emptiness burrowed in your stomach, you lowered your head into your knees and cried. 

You couldn't help but think 'what now?' Both of your parents were now dead, and John was constantly out hunting so he can't possibly raise you. What were you going to tell your friends? 'Hey guys, my dad was murdered by some...something weird so now I'm moving! You're probably never going to see me again, bye!' It's not something you can just blow over. Maybe John would bring you somewhere safe, like Canada, and you could continue to live a normal life. 

No. Nothing can go back to normal after what you just witnessed; what you saw was not normal. Suddenly, the overwhelming need for answers consumed you. You wanted to scream, to punch something. Why did this happen? How did this happen? What was that thing you saw--was it even real or just your mind playing tricks on you? 

Missouri entered the room with a box of tissues in her hands. "Here you go, child," she said softly and placed the tissues on a nearby coffee table. She took a seat next to you on the loveseat and sighed. "Oh, you poor thing," she whispered. "I'm terribly sorry about your daddy." 

You looked up at her with disbelief. Was she truly a psychic and not some lowlife pulling a scam? You opened your mouth to say something, but nothing came out. 

"Yes, I'm the real deal, Y/n. It's okay, it wasn't rude," Missouri chuckled to herself. She placed a hand on your knee and said, "I know you are confused, Y/n, and I know you want answers. John is on his way to pick you up right now, and I know he will answer most of your questions. But there's more than what he is going to tell you." Missouri sighed before continuing, "When you're ready, I will tell you everything--the whole story. But right now, you need to focus on healing. It may sound hard, but you're a strong girl, I can feel it." 

Your sobs managed to die down into silent whimpers and sniffles by the time Missouri was done talking to you. Something about this woman was just so comforting to you. She had this badass-grandma vibe to her that you found peace in.

You nodded your head at the woman, she smiled. "I think you're going to do just fine, Y/n," she stated before pulling you into a hug. 

[PRESENT DAY - BACKSEAT OF THE IMPALA]