XV - The Benders

[HIBBING, MINNESOTA]

"I know you're just doing your job, but the police have been here all week already. I don't see why we have to go through this again," the mother of the witness says. "The more he tells the story, the more he believes it's true."

"Mrs. McKay..." Sam pauses as you, Dean, and himself take off your hats. "We know you spoke with the local authorities."

"But this seems like a matter for the state police," Dean jumps in. "So..."

You glance at Dean from the corner of your eye, mentally slapping the man for acting so childish. You clear your throat and look down at the young boy in front of you. "Don't worry about how crazy it sounds, Evan," you assure the kid. "Just tell us what you saw."

"I was up late...watching T.V... when I heard this...weird noise," the kid explains, pausing many times.

"What did it sound like?" you ask.

"It sounded like...a monster." You straighten your posture and share seemingly apathetic looks with the boys. Just another imaginative kid, your expression says, but on the inside you know the kid isn't to far from reality.

"Tell the officers what you were watching on T.V.," Mrs. McKay tells her son.

"Um, 'Godzilla VS. Mothra,'" the boy confesses.

Dean chuckles in approval. "That's my favorite Godzilla movie. It's so much better than the original, huh?" Dean starts fanboying like the child he is deep down inside.

Evan's face lights up as he nods enthusiastically. "Totally," he agrees.

"Yeah." Dean nods at Sam, "He likes the remake," he says to the side scandalously, but Sam still hears him.

"Yuck," Evan grimaces.

Sam clears his throat, glaring daggers into the side of Dean's head. Dean faces his brother and stops instantly, his parade rained out.

"Evan, did you see what this thing was?" Sam asks after he and Dean collect themselves.

"No," the boy shakes his head, "but I saw it grab Mr. Jenkins. It pulled him underneath the car."

"Then what?"

The boy sighs and looks out the window, remembering. "It took him away." Dean taps his notepad with his pen, the pages blank as you expected. Next time, you'd have to "take notes."

"I heard the monster leaving," Evan says. "It made this really scary sound."

"What did it sound like?" you ask, searching the boy's eyes.

"This...whining growl," the boy replies.

You nod and return to your full height. "Thank you for your time," you say to the mother and child. Your mind swims with possibilities of what you could be dealing with, but there's only one way to know what it is for sure.

[KUGEL'S KEG - NIGHT]

"So the local police have now ruled out foul play," Sam reports, sitting on stool at the table he managed to snag before the other bar goers. "Apparently there were signs of a struggle."

"They could be right--could just be a kidnapping," Dean says, watching you throw a dart at the board. "Maybe this isn't our kind of gig. Your aim is horrible, by the way," Dean comments on your shot, which was pretty crummy.

You huff, pouting your bottom lip, and Sam chuckles at your exchange with Dean. "Yeah, maybe not. Except for this. Dad marked the area, Dean. 'Possible hunting ground of a phantom attacker,'" Sammy recites, Dean now looking at the journal over his brother's shoulder.