XII - Faith

Your week of adjusting to your life before hunting went by pretty slow. Though, you weren't surprised when the days started to drag on; you can't expect time to go by faster when your doing much milder things, like watching movies and reruns of Friends and listening to music for hours, instead of running around and chasing monsters. 

The week wasn't just spent in your pajamas watching TV and eating popcorn (though, that was the majority). You had gone out a few nights to spend time with Cleo, catching up and making new memories. You even helped out at the library for a day. Aside from the library and Cleo, you visited the gym to meet up with your old trainer. Why you got a membership in the first place, you didn't know--you had an exercise room back at the house, for hell's sake. But you stayed because you enjoyed sparing with your trainer and having an excuse to leave the house. 

But all that has changed. Hunting... it really did change your outlook on life. You tell yourself it's stupid, you knew of all the baddies before you actually hunted, so why was it affecting you now? Why did it make you question those around you, turn your head at even the slightest sound? You blame your behavior on your loneliness, the boys no longer right over your shoulder. Now, being only person who knows about the paranormal, you're surrounded by normies. So, you hide. You lock yourself in your mansion, sometimes going outside to listen to the birds and watch the setting sun. 

But even inside your mansion, the terrors find you. The nightmares, more violent than ever, control your sleep, waking you up in a cold sweat, crying, or screaming. You drink more hot chocolate, observe the birds more, distract yourself with TV and movies, and drift into a stale routine. But this wasn't going to stop you. Today you were going to fight back, actually make something of the day. 

You walk through the shelves of books, running your fingertips along the spines of the books. A young girl follows behind you, curiosity on her face as she watches you treat the books with such familiarity. You stop and grab a book from the middle shelf, smiling to yourself as you open the cover and flip through the pages. 

"I used to read this book with my father all the time," you say, nostalgia seeping through your words. You hand her the copy of The Hobbit with a smile. "I think you'll like it." 

The girl takes it, studying the cover for a moment in silence as you wait for her reaction. She looks up at you with gleaming eyes, "I can read this in two days. Can I have another one?" 

You laugh and wave for her to follow you. "All right, here." You stop in a different aisle of books and give her The Giving Tree. "There's a good message in this one," you comment as she tucks the book under her arm. 

"One more, please?" she asks with a toothy grin. 

"Follow me," you reply with a grin. You lead her towards the back of the library where books waiting to be put back on the shelf sit. "Last one," you sigh handing her The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. "You're lucky I returned it today." 

The girl beams at you as she adds the book to her stack. "Thank you! Check them out for me?" 

"Yeah, come on," you smile. 

Cleo walks out of the back and yawns. "Well, that was a long day, eh? I think we deserve a drink."

You stretch your arms and sigh. "C, you know I don't..."

"I know, I know. You don't drink. But at least come keep me company. Please?" Cleo asks, pouting her bottom lip. 

"Since you asked so nicely, sure," you comply with a smile. 

Cleo grins, wiggling her eyebrows. "Lemme just close up and I'll meet you outside."

"All right," you say, then head outside to wait in your truck. Once in the shelter of your vehicle, you pull out your phone to see if you missed any calls or texts. The inbox is empty. You bite your bottom lip. You hadn't talked to the boys since their hunt in Indiana with the scarecrow thing. You worried about them, a lot, but you never tried calling them, not wanting to be a bother. Besides, Sam promised that he would call, but he hasn't. Maybe they found John. Maybe they just forgot. Maybe they were in trouble...