XX - Dead Man's Blood

[Notes; 

This chapter is short.]

With Sammy on his laptop and Dean reading the newspaper, you could finally finish your thriller.

Just 50 more pages, you exhale slowly. Everything was starting to go down hill for the protagonists, and you jittered with anticipation because of it.

"Alright, dude, not a decent lead in all of Nebraska. What do you got?" Dean asks, setting down the newspaper.

You glare at the man for breaking the silence between the three of you, from distracting you from your book. An apologetic frown flashes on your face when you catch what you did, and you sink back into you chair.

She cries, agony tearing apart her throat and ripping through the air.

"Well, I've been scanning Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota. Here--a woman in Iowa fell 10,000 feet from an airplane and survived," Sam says.

Her body glows, actually burns brightly from the inside. The light pours from her mouth and eyes--even her nostrils are a vibrant yellow.

"That sounds more like 'that's incredible' than 'The Twilight Zone,'" Dean replies.

Skins flakes away, revealing more light and blinding her family surrounding her. She screams. Her love ones watch helplessly, laying dead on the ground or in shambles. She cries again and her--

He glances in your direction. "Right, Y/n?"

Startled, you flinch and slam your book closed with a thud. "What?" you ask, voice a few octaves higher than you would have liked. "Oh, yeah, yeah, totally."

The brothers look at you with wide, amused eyes. You sheepishly push your book towards the edge of the table, putting as much distance between you and that heart wrenching story as discreetly as possible.

Sam clears his throat. "Yeah."

"Hey, you know, we could just keep heading east--New York, upstate," Dean suggests. "Could stop by and see Sarah again, huh?"

You nod enthusiastically.

"She's a cool chick, man," Dean says.

"And gorgeous," you add.

Dean whistles in agreement. "You two seemed pretty friendly. What do you say?"

Sam smiles bashfully. "Yeah, I don't know. Maybe someday." He inhales sharply. "But in the meantime, we got a lot of work to do, you guys, and you know that."

"Yeah, you're right," Dean admits quietly. "What else you got?"

"Uh, Manning Colorado, local man by the name Daniel Elkins was found mauled in his home," Sam replies.

Your face visibly pales at Daniel's name.

"Elkins," Dean repeats. "I know that name."

You lean back in your chair, hand covering your mouth. Your eyes glaze over as memories flood your mind.

"Doesn't ring a bell," Sammy remarks. "It sounds like the police department don't know what to think. At first they said it was some sort of bear attack, and now they found signs of robbery," Sam explains as Dean flips through his father's journal.

[THIRTEEN YEARS AGO - MANNING, COLORADO]

"This is some really great stuff you found, Y/n," Daniel Elkins stated, holding the 14 year old's worn-down notebook in his hand.