Two Days To

Pansy didn't glance up from her book as Draco stormed into the room. Her childhood friend had no grace when it wasn't required and here, in the presence of her, it undoubtedly wasn't required. She heard a shuffle of fabric and looked up to see him raking a hand over his face and then behind his neck, rubbing the skin there. "I think we're becoming friends," he said distracted.

"Friends?" Pansy asked as she attempted not to spare him another glance. Her book was sitting in front of her and begging for her attention. If only she could just keep her gaze on the words. Draco be damned if he kept her from reading about the werewolves reunion.  

Another rustle of fabric and a heavy sigh permeated the air. "Yes, friends. I think so anyway. I am inclined to believe so..." Just as Pansy's eyes ran over the last sentence on the page, the book was torn from her hands. "Pansy," Draco drew her name out in a whine as he placed her bookmark on the page and set the book on the coffee table. 

"Draco," she drew out in return. "They were so close to shagging."She tapped her fingers against her chair as he glared at her. Finally, after a few moments, Pansy sighed and smiled at him. "Alright, I'm all ears for your virgin mouth." 

'Virgin mouth' Draco thought with a glare. Pansy was taking advantage. With a sigh, Draco fell back into the purple chair he hated and tried to get comfortable. The itch in his back finally settled as he focused on the room. It was just a chair. 

"So," Pansy started. "What happened?"

"Lots of stuff... I mean for starters Harry has been ignoring me," Draco pouted.

Pansy rolled her eyes at him before taking a sip of her coffee. She held the cup for an achingly long time that had Draco squirming in his seat. Her eyebrow raised expectantly and when Draco still refused to elaborate she sighed and place the cup back onto the table. "Draco you can't expect everyone to provide you with the attention that I do. We've discussed this, you are finicky. Everyone else doesn't care."

"Pans." Draco said as he glared at her, but there wasn't any bite in his tone. To an extent Pansy was correct, Draco was a picky bastard with a huge attention to detail. However, Draco didn't think that was the reason Harry was practically pretending he didn't exist. 

No, Harry wasn't the type to ignore someone for such a simple reason. It had to be more. Of course, ever since Draco had found out about  the abuse everything was more.

Where Draco had eagerly jumped on and joked with Harry earlier, now that he knew he was uncertain. Slytherin was an ambitious house, but also a house of healing. Everyone working together to better themselves not only physically but also mentally.

Draco had met abused children before.

Children who flinched long before his hand was raised. Friends who acted perfectly fine one day, but grimaced at specific words the next. No matter what, Draco never wanted to cause Harry pain. That was something he would never be capable of stomaching.

Pansy seeing the desperation on his face stilled and narrowed her eyes. "You found out something."

It wasn't a question and Draco grimaced. "Pans, don't ask."

"Don't ask?" Pansy asked incredulously. "We are friends, right?"

"I know that you're just as curious as I am finicky, but this is something that I won't be able to tell you. Please, Pans."

His voice had become begging towards the end, and Pany nodded solemnly. "Alright," she answered simply before asking, "Can you tell me how bad it is?"

"I'm not sure."

"What do you mean you aren't sure?" When Draco didn't answer Pansy rephrased her question. "How did you come across this information?"

"Bits and pieces, here and there." Draco said nonchalantly waving his hand with an expression that didn't match his tone. He looked tortured. "Father isn't as quiet as he thinks he is, and mother doesn't bother to mince her words. Surprisingly it was Harry who gave me the final piece though, or at least the one I needed to complete the picture."

"That's surprising. I was betting on at least another two weeks before you stopped being an ass." Pansy thumbed her bottom lip in thought for a moment before looking at me sharply. "Draco Malfoy. Don't tell me that after he told you whatever it was, that you have been treating him like something fragile."

Draco grimaced again, and rubbed his temples. "I can't help it. Now, that I know I'm scared I'll hurt him somehow."

"You are so incredibly stupid sometimes I wish I could strangle you. Pot. Cauldron. Black. Draco, you do realize that I said those same exact words to you last year, and you were so pissed at me you would have knocked me out if I wasn't a girl. Do you think Harry wants to be treated differently after telling you?"

Draco hadn't considered that. He had been terrified of telling Pansy he was gay, and afterward she had walked on eggshells around him, carefully minding her tongue and softening her jokes.

Draco had been so angry he thought he really might hurt her. The realization left him angry at himself. Draco hadn't wanted to be treated differently, and he had known when Harry told him that the boy hadn't wanted to be treated differently, but somewhere along the line Draco had slipped.

He had started to treat Harry like something broken when the gryffindor clearly needed anything but.

He bit his lip and nodded at Pansy, "you're right. I fucked up."

"Damn right that I'm right. So, what are you going to do about it?"

"I don't know."