Day of Decisions

A/N: I decided to publish this because it was sitting in my drafts for about year. I'm rewriting it currently, but thought this might provide an ounce of closure to the past me who could never finish. Sorry past me and past readers. 

Harry didn't think much of the day as he woke up. He never did have much of a way to distinguish between them when he was at his relatives residence. However, something in the back of his mind knew that today would be different. A little wiggling sensation that was similar to the mornings of particularity bad beatings.

It was this feeling that had Harry so on edge that he stumbled out of the bed and crawled against the farthest wall from the door when it slammed open. Draco looked at him curiously for a second before his eyes darkened.

"Breakfast," he murmured. "I just wanted to tell you that breakfast is ready."

Harry nodded, soberly, and stood up from the floor. His knees ached. He must have scraped them when he fell on the carpet.

He turned to follow Draco out the door, but the boy wouldn't move. "Breakfast?" Harry meant to say, but his voice raised itself to the point that his statement became a question.

"Are you okay?"

Harry shifted on his feet and shoved his hands into his pants' pockets. "Yea. Yea, I'm fine."

In a move uncharacteristic of Draco, the other boy bit his lip. "You can tell me. If something's wrong." Draco's eyes narrowed at the wall, and before Harry could say anything he was gone. Down the stairs, and to the left.

Harry followed him at a more subdued pace. The portraits still whispered about him as he passed, but it wasn't nearly as bad as that first day.