Chapter 4: So We Meet Again

I was running fast, breath heavy, heart full of excitement. My bare feet touched the muddy creek bank because I held tight to my flip flops in my hands. It'd been almost a whole week since we last saw each other. I remember the departure perfectly. Him holding me an embrace so romantic and not being able to let go. I didn't want him to go. I needed him. Every single second of him. But he had to go away for a while. He was going to be a counselor at church camp. I had to let him go. I can't control him. But I'd never had to live without him. 

When I finally got to our meeting spot I saw him. He was looking good as ever, laying out on a turquoise blanket, waiting for my arrival. 

" You're late." he spoke. 

"Fashion emergency, you know how us girls are." I giggled and lay next to him. 

"I missed you Joshua. I really did."

"I missed you too." he smiled and rolled over on his side to face me. 

We lay out under the spacious sky and I feel asleep in his arms.

After the blissful memory I had just dreamed about it all faded to black and another dream began. A very bad dream, indeed. Joshua was surrounded by two little babies, each in their own cribs; one boy, one girl. You'd think this would be a wonderful dream but then Olivia walked through the door and walked right up to Joshua, kissing him intensely. I awoke with chills down my back and a small, breathless scream escaped my mouth. I whimpered like a puppy until I got my bearings.

**********************************************************************************************************

I was brushing my teeth when I heard a strange sound. Almost as if there was a newborn puppy in our room, the sound perpetrated through the walls all around me. I think the source was Miriam's room. She'd been awfully quiet yesterday I wonder what was up with her. I figured it best to leave her alone though; I doubt she would want to talk about it with me. I doubt even mom would know what to do about it. 

I didn't feel like turning invisible right now. I wanted sleep. After all, tomorrow was my meeting with Travis and I didn't want to miss one second with him. An opportunity to spend time with him was much too good to pass up. 

After a good 8 hours or so of sleep I was fully awake and ready to face the day. A harmonious song was done beautifully at church. I wish I could sing like that. I have no talents and possess no athletic ability. 

"Mom, I'm going to GroveWay to walk around a bit. Smell the fresh air. If you need me call. I'll take my cell this time." I shouted, my body already half way out the door.

"Fine, honey. Pick up some darn grapes at the store too! I forgot them and I can't really be without them right now. They're about the only food that doesn't make me what to up- chuck." my mom returned.

And with those words I was out the door. I actually was a bit chilly today for some odd reason. It was California after all. For the second time seeing Travis I didn't think I looked all that bad in a pair of cut off dark wash short- shorts and a flowy tank top of multiple colors. I had paired this with my splatter paint sneakers, seeing as how we'd probably be on trails the entire time. 

"It's 12:05" I called out as I saw him appear behind a group of trees "You're late!" and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Well aren't you just right on time?" He chuckled and sat down on a bench in the shade with me. 

For a bit we just talk about how cool it was to be invisible and how we couldn't imagine why we got to and no one else we knew of could. Then he brought up something out of the blue.