Chapter 6: Mission Impossible

Saturday I awoke with a thud against my window as a branch continually hit it with such force it worried me that my window would shatter into a million pieces any moment. My body slowly rose and got itself out of my bed, walking towards the bathroom to fix my hair before breakfast. Travis and I had agreed to meet at his house at 10 o' clock sharp. I brushed my tangled chestnut- colored mane until it was baby- butt soft. I went downstairs and a plate of scrambled eggs and chugged a class of orange juice until there wasn't a drop left. Then I ran back upstairs to change. I pulled a light weight, green sweater over my head and adjusted it to my body shape. Then I tugged off my pajama shorts and threw them at the basketball hoop hanging off my door, scoring. "And the crowd goes wild!" I whisper- yelled to myself. I pulled on fitting in the leg and buttox area flare jeans and slipped on my splatter- paint sneakers all in less than five minutes. 

"I'm going out, Mom. I don't know when I'll be back," I called over my shoulder before walking out the door. I heard her "mhm" from the back of the house and shut the door behind me. 

Travis had given me his address and it wasn't far from here. I walked along Jay Blvd.  until I reached 4902, Travis's house. He was standing besides his rusty white trunk so thankfully I didn't have to ring the doorbell and meet his parents or anything, that is if his parents were even around right now...

"Hey, you made it. It was your plan after all so I was hoping you'd show up," he said, while pulling me into a hug. "You look out of place in California, Rose. A sweater and jeans? Really?" he smirked.

"I see you didn't listen and plan ahead like me,"

"Are we really going to be somewhere so cold that we need winter- wear?"

"I don't know..." I stammered, nervously. "Maybe this is a bad idea Travis... we might be gone for weeks and come home empty handed." I contorted my face into a frown.

Holding my shoulders with both of his hands he said firmly, " I know we can find them."

"We better get going then" I said, a hint of uncertainty still in my voice, but either Travis didn't hear or he ignored it.

He opened the passenger door for me like a gentleman and helped me into the heaping truck. It was a bit larger than most. For a guy, his car was surprisingly neat. I couldn't see an article of trash in sight. There was a pack of gum sitting on the dashboard, I looked inside. There were still a few pieces left so I took two and left the other four untouched. Moments later, Travis was in the truck as well. "Where do you want to start looking?" he asked.

" Drive towards Arizona. I've got a feeling they might be there. Josh always talked about going to college there and then moving somewhere near the border of California and Arizona." 

A look of shock came upon Travis's face but it slowly past. He knew I wasn't kidding and started driving. We were on a mission to find Joshua and Olivia too. I couldn't believe I'd get to do it all with Travis either. For the many hours I knew we'd spend in the car, we kept ourselves entertained for the most part. It was his truck, but when he got tired he let me drive. I'd brought a wad of cash that consisted of my entire life savings, hundreds of dollars. I'd guess around 600 or so. I didn't know how much to bring since I had no idea how long we'd be gone and we needed to be able to buy gas, food, and maybe once we found Josh, a motel for a night. 

The car ride was filled with conversations that taught both Travis and I things we never knew about each other. We talked about our past, thoughts we had about the future, favorite things, about anything, really. I knew with each word spoken my heart kept falling deeper and deeper for him, and I knew now it wasn't just for his good looks. I was really getting to know Travis and I loved what I'd found in him. He's just a great person all around.