29. Nerds Assemble

"You're driving so god damn fast! Do you even know how to drive? I hope you know you're going past the speed limit! Also, do you know where you're going?! Do you have some sort of magic navigation in your brain? When have you ever used a car? Do you even have a license?"

"Relax, you little hobbit."

"Hobbit? Hobbit!" Rami turns around to find me at the edge of my seat, hanging onto the grab handle of this dodge viper for my dear life. "Drew, let's throw him out of the car."

Idris laughed loudly, keeping his eyes on the road. It is exactly eight at night and we are on the road to Nevada. After stopping by the wolf cave to prepare for the unknown obstacles we might deal with rescuing the werewolf, Idris did not waste another heartbeat getting on the road. He is the driver and Rami rode shotgun, leaving me in the backseat of this beautiful sports car. Idris permanently borrowed it from one of Ulysses' clan members. I am just as worried as Rami in this situation. Although the vampire drives perfectly fine, we are going way beyond the speed limit and could get pulled over by a cop at any moment. I have never gone this fast in a car, ever. It's like the roller coaster kind of speed, only the ride will lasts for at least ten hours rather than ten seconds. From the end of California to Nevada takes a long time. If we don't go the rate we are going right now, we might not make it in time for Lysander. Though I have a feeling they began experimenting with him the moment they caught him, we can at least get him before they do more, worse things. Or maybe, just maybe, we're too late. But it's worth a try. Whatever I see, experimented or not, I'm going to get Lysander back.

"It's okay, Rami." I ruffled his growing curls. "Hobbits are cute. He is complimenting you."

He only rolled his eyes but slipped out a chuckle. "Me? Compliment humans? I would never." Gasps the other dramatic man. I could imagine a world where Idris and Rami are both theater and drama geeks, they would be rivals, always fighting for the leading role.

"Hmm, I don't know. I think you're warming up to us, Idris." I teased, reaching over to the front of the car to get my phone, connected to the aux cord that plays the music. "Rami especially."

The two of them glared at me, making me sink down to the leather seat with an innocent smile. They both snapped their heads towards me at the same time and almost hit each other. Their glares then moved from me to each other before scoffing at the exact same time.

Giggling quietly, I scrolled through my music library to switch the song. As I did, I noticed we lost all sorts of signal as we entered a deserted highway. Once we reach the other side of this, there will be connections again. We've taken this road before. Once every mile or two, it smells like shit so that should be fun.

***

"It's midnight." I informed my companions. "Idris, do you want to switch seats? I can take over if you want to sleep." I then furrowed my eyebrows at my own words. "Wait. Do you even sleep? Do vampires even sleep?" The books in Lysander's library never really mentioned them.

"If you do, do you sleep in a coffin?" Rami added rather excitedly.

Idris shook his head. "Honestly, humans and their strange myths." He tutted. "Yes, we sleep. No, not in coffins. No we are not afraid of garlic. As a matter of fact, I am craving garlic bread right now." Ugh, me too. "We do not turn into bats." He peeped at Rami, who looked very disappointed. "We are not the 'undead', and no we most definitely do not at all sparkle."