40. Last Night

"This party has only been going on for half an hour and he is already buzzed." I observed the wibbly wobbly Rami in the middle of the room with a red cup on one hand and a pizza on another, swinging along to the music. "Is getting drunk fast a good thing or a bad thing?"

"I wouldn't know." The werewolf muttered next to me, eating a plate full of grilled steak and salad.

Eva is chatting with Doctor Maxine while Nina is eating on the couch, completely entertained on watching the drunk vampire. This party only included our small circle: me, Lysander, Rami, Eva and Nina, along with Doctor Maxine. Enoch is also invited just because, but he isn't here yet so maybe he might not show up, not down to party with supernaturals. Also, Eva gave a last minute invitation to Rami's mother and his little brothers, who are also running late.

Before the party, I finally had the time to clean up properly. I took a bath with hot water and wore clothes that I haven't worn repeatedly for the past few days. Lysander, as usual, was forced to take a shower and wore the same clothes he's been wearing, but cleaner, since he still doesn't have too much clothes. In tonight's party, I wore a casual burgundy dress while Lysander wore his usual tight white shirt and black jeans. Rami got his contacts and round glasses, covering up the vampire eyes.

"Drew." Doctor Maxine came up after speaking with Eva. "Do you mind if we talk in private? WIth Lysander and Rami?"

"No problem. Let's go in the backyard." The doctor went ahead while I removed the paper plate from Lysander's hand, making him frown at me. I took his hand and clutched on it, dragging him with me as I marched towards Rami. I put his empty cup of liquor down at the table and latched on his arm, leading the two boys to the backyard.

"What's happening? Are we in trouble?" Rami questioned, genuinely looking nervous as he fiddles with his green flannel. "Whatever it was, I didn't do it."

Doctor Maxine just raised a brow before shaking his head. She pulled out two folded papers from her purse and handed them to me. It's the results from the tests she ran for Lysander and Rami. I carefully scanned Rami's information and saw everything that changed from his body. I did the same to Lysander's and saw that almost everything looked the same as Doctor Rai showed me his information before. Almost. Still a werewolf, that's for sure. But, slightly different.

"Lysander had been injected with different chemicals." She explained, flicking her brown eyes at the confused werewolf. "Some stayed on the safe parts of the body, and they can be removed with a few cleansing medicines. However, there were some that went far off and it had affected his cells. Have you ever heard of the experiment that scientists are trying to do, regarding aging?"

I looked at the information on Lysander's results and nodded.

"Scientists are trying to slow down aging physically."

"Yes. And that involves messing with body cells. Telomeres are in charge of the aging process. It is supposed to be shortening as we grow older. Rami's, as you can see there, had gone frozen."

Rami took the paper from me and grew even more paler than he already was. His eyes skimmed through the information, then he brushed a hand through his hair and let out a stressed sigh. "I figured this would happen."

"Rami's telomeres are frozen while Lysander's began to shorten normally." Doctor Maxine summarized her report, announcing the news to the boys. "Lysander, I've looked through Doctor Rai's files and found your information. He included that before you were experimented, your telomeres were shortening very slowly. Not exactly frozen, but it's shortening very, very slow, that you're hardly aging in appearance. While Rami, who was human before, his telomeres were shortening normally, in normal rate, but now, it's frozen, which means that he will stop aging."