HD ~ Chapter Eleven

I'm kind of excited right now. I went shopping today and got three new dresses and a bunch of baking material (totally unrelated items but whatever.) Anyway, I'm now going to be somewhat of a professional baker while I wear pretty dresses.

Sorry if that's really random. We can get onto the story now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Felicity

After the conversation with Jack, the shopping trip wasn't as fun as it had been. Jack was unusually quiet and Cole noticed. He didn't say anything and I tried to talk enough to distract him. I kept the conversation topics light, not wanting to delve into anything too heavy while we were in public.

We all had lunch in the food court about two hours after we started shopping. It was a very quiet affair for me. I didn't feel much like talking anymore so Cole and Jack talked about things going on in their group. I tried tuning it out since it mainly dealt with what they were going to do to my pack when they decided take action. Knowing about it made me feel guilty.

I felt as though any battle that would go down between these guys and my pack would be my fault. Even though I left my home, I was still apart of my the Sun Dust pack. Knowing that Cole's group was planning to attack and I wasn't going to do anything to warn them made me feel like a traitor.

On the other hand, I knew that I didn't have to warn them. Cole's group would never be able to take down my mom and her fighters. No one ever had before and I doubted this time would be any different.

With a deep breath, I pushed my Caesar salad away from me and got up from the table. "I need to use the bathroom," I said after a moment.

Cole stopped mid-sentence to look up at me. "Okay," he said slowly as he turned his gaze towards me. "Are you feeling all right?"

"Yeah, of course. I'm fine. I just need to...use the bathroom," I said with a forced smile.

He ran a hand through his hair before glancing back at Jack. "Okay. Let's go," he said as he started getting up.

I shook my head and held my hands up in protest. "It's only to the bathroom, Cole," I told him. "Besides, it's girls only so you can't exactly accompany me."

"You're still our prisoner," Cole said, making sure to keep his voice low. "I need to keep an eye on you." Without waiting for a reply, he took hold of my hand and started walking with me to the other side of the food court to where the bathrooms were.

It would be useless to protest. Cole and I didn't need to have another argument today. I just wished that he'd realize I had no intention of getting back to my family any time soon.

Even though I was technically his prisoner, Cole treated me a lot better than I'd been treated at home. Since I was running away anyway, it made sense for me to stay here for awhile until I felt like attempting to escape. Being here was much better than trying to survive on my own. With Cole I had food, a warm place to stay, clothes, friends to talk to, and I had safety.

We stopped outside the bathroom door and Cole released my hand. "I'll be waiting here when you're done," he murmured as he leaned down to press a kiss to my cheek. I figured it was to make it appear as though he was my boyfriend to any humans that happened to be watching.

"Oh, I know you will be," I mumbled with great sarcasm and the biggest, fake smile I could muster as I turned and walked into the bathroom. 

Being away from Cole, even if it was only for five minutes, felt like taking a breath of fresh air. Whenever I was around him, things were always incredibly intense. He made me feel warm and gave me goose bumps at the same time. I didn't act like myself either. I felt bolder and empowered in a way. Still, part of it felt wrong.