HD ~ Chapter Thirteen

So I was just reading a comment on the last chapter made by Wolf_with_no_keekers (I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but I really enjoyed your comment). She mentioned how she was confused about Felicity and Cole's relationship about how they're supposed to be mates and act like enemies.

I just wanted to say that it actually is my intention to make them act that way. See, I have a different view on relationships than many people on here. Relationships to me aren't something that's simple. They're complicated and complex and messy. If I made Felicity and Cole's relationship in this book straightforward and uncomplicated, then that just wouldn't be very realistic. So you should feel confused.

Thank you for that wonderful comment, Wolf_with_no_keekers. This chapter is dedicated to you. 

Anyway, let's see how things are going with Felicity and Cole.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Felicity

I didn't wait long. Once Zach left to go find his great leader, it only took Cole a matter of three minutes and thirty-seven seconds to come see me. I counted. It helped me focus on my nerves a bit as I thought about what I would say to him as my feelings seemed to be all over the place.

At the moment, I was torn. Part of me actually wanted to make up with Cole. Despite the fact he had hurt me, I didn't want to be mad at him anymore. He'd been good to me so far. He'd saved me and given me the treatment a prisoner shouldn't have had. There had to be some sort of explanation for why he was flirting and getting a random girl's number. After last night, he should've know that I wouldn't deny him if he wanted me, as stupid as it sounded.

Still, the other part of me wanted nothing to do with him. He called me a pawn in whatever game he was playing with Clarity. After he said something like that, I never should've trusted him. Cole apparently liked playing games no matter how dangerous they were. He thought he could toy with me whenever he wanted and toss me aside when she was finished.

I didn't want to be that girl to him. I didn't want to be disrespected and taken advantage of whenever I was vulnerable. He might act like he cares, but how could he possibly care about me and want to destroy my family at the same time? It wasn't possible for him to do both things so he needed to choose. It was pretty obvious what his choice was.

Cole may be my mate, but right now he was the enemy. I wasn't going to subject myself to his twisted ways. For that reason, I needed make myself a player in his game and find a way to beat him. 

When it came down to it, I could be a pretty good actress. If I was able to be convincing enough I could find a way to pretend that things were okay between us. All I needed was time. If I had enough time, I could make Cole think that I trusted him and wanted to be near him. Then when he least expected it, I would run. I would leave him, warn my family, and then disappear. After that point, whatever happened would be out of my hands.

I heard Cole coming before he entered the room. His footsteps were rushed and that made me think that he was anxious. He was trying to make me trust him to give himself leverage over my family. The fact that I was blatantly ignoring him was unsettling to him. If things were going to work out in his favor, he needed me on his side.

He was hesitant, but ended up knocking on the door anyway. I was sitting in the middle of the bed with my back against the headboard. My arms were folded over my chest and I took a deep breath reminding myself that now was the time for acting. I'd have to ignore how Cole made me feel physically and emotionally. I had to act as if he was just another guy in my pack that only wanted me to get closer to Clarity. Essentially, that last part was true. 

I didn't tell him to come in and after a few moments, the doorknob twisted slowly. The door creaked open just a few inches as Cole poked his head through the space. I watched him with an emotionless expression as he watched me with a careful gaze. "Felicity?" he asked as he stepped further into the room and shut the door. "Zach said that you wanted to talk?"