Epilogue

The microphone screeched with feedback as the principle called out my name. There were no special mentions of my accomplishments or awards I'd won. Just my name, mispronounced, and drowned out by the metallic shriek. I got up slowly, accidentally stepping on a stranger's toes. I hadn't had enough time to get to know anyone at this new school before the year was up and it was graduation day. Three months should've been enough, but there wasn't any time for me to grow to care. Zealand walked a few people ahead of me, with the "R" group—it was a very small graduating class of about a hundred kids.

That was 300 fewer people than our old school, where Marlow had graduated from just a week before. She sat on the football field bleachers with my dad, Maria, JD, and Pari, cheering loudly as I walked onto the rickety stage set up on the cheap turf.

Zealand and I had gone to Marlow's graduation and I made sure to get there late, to miss the "R's" and only hear "Marlow Wesley" be called and celebrate. She cried when she saw us and mourned the fact that we weren't graduating together like we should have. Ever since we were pushed out of the school and the district, things had been tense in the neighborhood. Every morning felt like a scene out of West Side Story, with kids at bus stops sneering at cars driving thirty minutes to a school which hadn't offered a warm welcome to the newcomers.

I'd mostly kept my head down, but it was hard not to stand out next to Zealand when he was easily gawked at by most of the girls at the small school, especially when they all thought I was his girlfriend. A fallacy he used to his advantage whenever a girl would be bold enough to speak to him with something more than flirty banter. Most of the time, I'd be sitting or walking with him and when a poor soul with a spontaneous shot of courage started talking to him, he'd take my hand in his and hold it, regardless of what I was doing. After three months, I had begun to anticipate his moves and just ended up walking hand in hand with him everywhere. This little stunt somehow reached the ears of our former classmates and one night at the quarry, Pari asked us why we'd hidden our relationship from them. Marlow's head had snapped up so hard, I saw her wince in pain, but her eyes finally revealed the most obvious truth that I'd somehow missed in all my time with them, having been selfishly concerned with only myself. In her features, I saw unbridled pain and it was because she thought our relationship was real.

"We aren't hiding anything," I said with firm conviction. "Zealand just doesn't want any attention." And I finally knew why.

Marlow's features relaxed and I smiled at her. She frowned and my smile grew wider as a blush bloomed on her fair skin. I cornered her before she could leave and she confessed everything. They'd never really talked about being together except for one time, and they'd decided it wasn't a good idea. "That's total bullshit!" I exclaimed.

"No. No, it isn't. My dad would make his life hell, Santana. You've seen how he treats you!"
"Mar, seriously? How can you let a dick like your father ruin something that can be...I'd say amazing, but I honestly think you two would be the quietest couple in the existence of the universe," I giggled.

She laughed too but rolled her eyes.

"I'm kidding. You two are perfect for each other. You're both so naturally good and you'd be good for each other. I can't let you go on suffering in silence with something that can be so easy."

"That's rich coming from you."

"This isn't about me, though."

"You're going to my graduation, aren't you?" She asked to change the subject.

"Yeah, maybe."
"He's going to be there," she teased, elbowing me in the stomach lightly.

"I did say maybe."
"Maybe means no! You can't not go."
"Why not?"