Chapter Two - Who Are You?

Pidge's POV

  I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by a white light.

 "Hey! I think they're waking up!" Someone called hopefully. "Hey there! Who're you?"

  I sat up and tried to squint through the light.

  "It's bright, huh? Especially compared to that horrible purple light." The person spoke again. 

   "Son, let the kid get their bearings. You shouldn't be sitting up so quickly, especially considering your condition." An older voice spoke. I heard his footsteps interning the room.

  "Condition?" I asked, surprised. My voice was raspy from lack of use.

  "You seem ill." The older man explained. "You had a fever when you were rescued, and you're covered in blood and bruises, not to mention your mechanical leg."

  "I'm fine... But ... Where are we?" I groaned, still barely opening my eyes.

   "A rebel camp. They broke into the prison and freed everyone. However, before I can tell you anything else, I need to know what species you are so that we can figure out how to treat you wounds." The man replied gently.

   "I'm fine." Annoyance slipped into my tone. "Where's Voltron?"

  "What? What's Voltron?" The first voice asked inquired. "I've never heard of it."

   "Obviously." I scowled. "It's a giant robot formed by five lions. The lions are piloted by five people. Do you know where it is?" 

   "No, we've never heard of it. It's made out of lions, you say? Are you sure that you didn't hit your head?" The second voice asked, concerned.

   "No no no no no, Voltron's real! I'm the green paladin, there are four others and Princess Allura and Coran! They're out there!" I could hear the panic slipping into my voice, but I didn't care. "They have to be, there's no way I imagined them! That's how I got into space!"

   "Calm down, kid. We just need to know who and what you are." I knew they were trying to sooth me, but I started hyperventilating. I pulled my knees up to my chest. 

   "Woah there, calm down. Matt, what was that breathing exercise that Katie used?"

   "Breath in four seconds, hold seven seconds, exhale eight seconds." 

   "Did you hear that? Try doing that a few times."

   I did. After the second set, I could feel myself calming down. I opened my eyes and gasped. I found my self looking at my brother and dad!

   I couldn't help it anymore. I burst into tears. Tears for finally seeing them again, for being safe, for everything. 

  My little moment of relief didn't last long. Screams split the air. 

   "Galra. Matt, can you get them? Kid, I need you to be quiet." 

   I felt my brother pick me up, fireman carrying me out of the tent. Lasers were flying everywhere, people were running. I watched, unable to do anything, as my father lead us away from where the fighting was. 

  "I think we're-" Dad started, only to realize that there was a semi circle of Galra surrounding the way out. There was no way to escape.