the storm had crept up like a predator on it's prey, staying stealthy until it was time to strike. a stroke of bright lightning cut the sky in two for a moment, the once calming loveliness of the view becoming dark and threatening.

oh my.

a quick pitter-patter of rain began to hit the top of his car, starting as a little and growing into an unnerving downpour.

the pink hue to the sky was lost, darkness of the storm covering it like a painting that was made to bring terror.

it didn't dawn on him that the rain could have so much power until this moment. a small drop of water could very well determine the future itself, and that was because if the rain hit his car at just the right place, he would fall.

the waves below him crashed into the bottom of the cliff, having no mercy now as they took deadly strikes far below.

his eyes closed tightly, his hands gripped the sides of his chair. it was overwhelming. the thunder sounded so close, like it was in the very car with him, like a mocking laugh that was amused by his current situation. his car rocked dangerously, seeming to rock lower each time.

"i'm gonna die."

he said the words as if it were a realization, although he would've rather been ignorant enough to not realize it.

he was terrified. he could, at any moment, fall who knows how far down to his death, all alone, with no one to help him but the deer beside his car. if that even.

but, wasn't it like that the whole time? wasn't death staring him in his face the entire time he was there?

it seemed like the longest time until the storm passed. he really didn't even know if it passed or if he'd fallen and died. his eyes had been shut for so long that he didn't know what was going on anymore. he could still hear the faintness of the wind, and he slowly opened his eyes again, his heart beating as fast as life itself.

relief hit his being as he saw his steering wheel, and looked out of the front window into the sky and ocean. he turned his head to see the deer, looking over at him. the deer looked like it nodded it's head toward him.

you did not die. congratulations.