06 | Getting to Know You

╔══════════════════╗

SKIN & BONES
vi. GETTING TO KNOW YOU

╚══════════════════╝

LORELAI NEVER THOUGHT HER life would end up this way

LORELAI NEVER THOUGHT HER life would end up this way. She never thought she'd befriend the Cullens, whether it was before or after they moved to Alaska. She never really interacted with them other than Carlisle, for they always kept to themselves. However, now that Lorelai was made aware of their family's little secret, she could see why they did so in the first place.

Jasper Hale intrigued Lorelai more and more as the days passed. They were opposites in the sense that Lorelai was much more open than the closed-off vampire. She knew Jasper just kept his distance to protect Lorelai, worried that he'd suck her dry. Now, that was something that worried Lorelai just a little bit, but she'd just keep that to herself for now.

Throughout their time as friends, which wasn't more than a few weeks, Lorelai did most of the talking. Sometimes Jasper would speak, but he typically kept his distance. Nonetheless, Lorelai could tell he was warming up to her slowly but surely.

"Hey, Jasper, can I ask you something?"

Lorelai was determined to be this boy's friend. Whatever it was, she felt a strange need to get to know Jasper Hale, even if it could kill her. Maybe she was just lonely and in need of a friend, maybe she just needed something constructive to occupy her mind. Whatever it was, she wasn't going to stop, and that was the one thing Jasper had been worried most about.

She'd been sitting on the ground, legs crisscrossed. Jasper had been several feet away, most likely hiding out in a tree.

This was their attempt at strengthening their friendship—because oddly enough, Jasper wanted to be her friend, too. He was fascinated by how Lorelai was in Alice's visions. He was curious about her role in his life.

Knowing that he could still hear her with his superhuman senses, Lorelai continued, "That day we met—Alice said that she saw me in a vision. What did she mean?"

A short-lived gust of wind vented as Jasper appeared a few feet before Lorelai in seconds.

"In my world, certain vampires possess special abilities that may be gained or enhanced when they're turned," Jasper began after a moment of thinking. "When a human transforms into a cold one, their strongest trait is brought into their new life. When someone has a particularly intense skill or characteristic, it heightens after their transformation. Every gift is unique, never working the same way twice because no one ever thinks exactly the same way."

Taking in this information, Lorelai entreated, "So Alice has... a gift...?"

Jasper nodded. "Alice is clairvoyant. She can see into the future. That's how she saw you coming. She believes you're an important piece to our future, though she hasn't quite said why," explained Jasper. "Edward, on the other hand, can read minds, all except for your sister's."

"Is there something wrong with her?" queried Lorelai. "I mean, there's plenty wrong with her, but why can't he read her mind?"

Jasper was amused by how that was the first thing Lorelai asked. He shrugged. "None of us are sure."

Lorelai hummed in understanding. She made a mental note of this before continuing with her many questions. "Do you have a gift?"

Jasper nodded again. "I'm the last of my family with a gift. I can feel the emotions of those around me, as well as manipulate them," he revealed.

Taking this in, Lorelai immediately felt some sort of form of guilt. Rather than being able to read what she was thinking, Jasper could instead feel every horrible emotion she felt toward herself. The idea of it made her heart sink in her chest. Lorelai never wanted anyone to feel what she was feeling.

"I can feel what you're feeling right now," began Jasper. "Trust me, you are worth it."

Lorelai shook her head. "You hardly know me," she insisted.

"Maybe so," Jasper recognized. "But whether I've known you for a day or a year, no one deserves to feel the way you feel."

Lorelai stared at Jasper Hale. She was in awe of how his mind worked. "You are... so weird, Jasper," she admitted. "You know that, right?" She smiled at him in a friendly manner. "Getting to know you isn't as bad as I thought it would be."

Jasper placed a hand over where his heart should have been in a mocking manner. "You really thought it would be bad?" he wondered, clearly joking. "You're breaking my heart, ma'am."

A laugh left Lorelai as one thought rolled through her mind.

Oh, how she wished she could always feel like this.

○ ○ ○

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

sorry for how short this filler chapter was lol. i really just want to show their friendship as it grows so that when they inevitably get together, it doesn't feel super rushed. :)

Revised: November 6th, 2019