➳ six

"Class dismissed." Mrs Kang said as the bell rang.

It's really weird. Why is no one greeting me? Did they really forget that it's my birthday? I mean today's Friday, my Mom and I will go shopping on Sunday, that's how we celebrate my birthday. I don't really know with Mingyu yet. We usually go to the amusement park when we celebrate my birthday.

I stood up from my chair and grabbed my bag. I went to Eunha. "Hey, should we go to the mall?" I asked.

Eunha nodded with a smile.

Soyeon went to us and asked, "Hey, what's up?"

"You coming to the mall with us?" I asked.

"Of course!" She answered with a smile. Soyeon looked around as if she's finding someone.

"Did you guys invite Minji?" Soyeon asked.

Minji.

The moment she said her name, memories flashed.

"Her bag's not here anymore. Did she leave already?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. I'll call her." Eunha said.

"Okay. Tell her if she wants to come okay?" I stated.

I told them to wait me outside because I need to put some things in my locker.

I opened my locker and a blue sticky note fell.

Meet me at the fountain park
at 18:00.

— j.j.h

J.J.H? Jung Jaehyun? I don't know anyone with the initials J.J.H besides Jaehyun. Why would he want to meet me at the fountain park? He was a transferee during 7th grade. We used to be very close friends before. We also have inside jokes. I don't know what happened now. We lost connection ever since we reached 10th grade. We pass each other on the hallway and smile and we sometimes chat and that's just that.

I went outside to meet Eunha and Soyeon and went straight to the mall.

We went window shopping and bought some stuff. Eunha is busy texting while Soyeon went outside to talk to someone. We're at the coffee shop chilling after shopping.

Soyeon went inside after taking the call and Eunha kept her phone in her bag. I guess she's done texting.

I'm sulking. Why are they still not greeting me yet? In fact, no one has greeted me yet.

"Guys are you forgetting something?" I opened up, hoping they would greet me.

"Forget what?" They asked.

Time check: 17:54

"Never mind. Nothing." I said.

Eunha and Soyeon stood up and grabbed their bags.

"Hyemi, we'll go now okay? We still need to do something important." Soyeon said and took a sip on her coffee.

Oh nice. They're going without me. Now they're avoiding me.

"Will you be okay here?" Eunha asked.

"Yeah." I smiled. "I actually need to get going too. I have to see someone." I added. I stood up and grabbed my bag.

"Okay, see you!" They said and left.

I watched the water fountain as it danced and change color. I inhaled the fresh wind and let out a big sigh. I sat on the bench and crossed my legs. Then I saw a tall boy with dimples walking towards me.

"Hey," his smile broadened until his dimple appeared.

"Hi Jaehyun," I greeted with a smile. God, I missed talking to him.

"I missed you, Hyemi." He sat down and faced towards me. His eyes are twinkling as he's looking at me.

"I missed you too! How have you been?" I asked and patted his shoulders.

"I'm doing okay." He said with a smile and his dimple appeared again. "What about you?" He added.

"I'm good." I replied and he just smiled.

It's quiet and peaceful here. I returned my gaze to the fountain. The atmosphere is being surrounded by an awkward silence.

I looked at him and he was watching the fountain. Wow, he's such a good looking guy. I never got the chance to look at his face like this. Puberty did a pretty good job.

"Jaehyun, why did you want to meet me?" I asked, breaking the silence.

He giggled and let out a sigh. "Actually I have something to tell you." He said.

"What is it?" I asked, I'm curious.

"But before that, let me give you this." He opened his bag and took out a heart shaped box.

"Happy birthday, Hyemi." He smiled and handed me the box.

I gasped and my eyes widened.

"Thank you!" I hugged him.

I opened the box and it's full of chocolates and some of our pictures from 7th and 8th grade.

I can't stop smiling.

"Thank you, really. You were the first one who greeted me on my birthday." I'm trying to hold back my tears as I look through the box.

"Really?" He asked and I nodded.

I looked at him and saw him holding a flower and a teddy bear.

"Here." He smiled.

"Are you really giving this to me?" I asked. "I can't accept this. This is too much. You can simply just greet me a "happy birthday" and I'm already happy with it." I added.

"No, I want you to have it," He said. "I've been planning this for a long time." He added.

"Wait, what?"

"I like you, Hyemi." He said.

"I like you since the first time we met."

"I like you since 7th grade." He added.

180119