Chapter Four

HELLO THERE :)

Thanks for reading and all the great comments!

Hope you like reading this short chapter :)

I could feel people staring at me as I walked down the hallway. I was so nervous, I thought I'd faint. But I put my head up high and tried to make my way through. I could hear the word, 'new girl', in almost every conversation taking place. I laughed to myself when one girl even said, "Do you think she's going to be popular?"

I was about to yell when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I looked around to see a girl a few inches taller than me.

"Hey there!", the tanned girl said.

"Um..hey...", I said nervously, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I'm Jasmine. And you are...Nicole Evans?"

I tilted my head to the side and opened my mouth to speak when she laughed.

"Don't freak out. I was assigned to assist you. So...I sort of already know about you...", she said, looking at me.

I laughed. She seemed sweet.

"First up. Your locker", she said, looking down at her clip pad.

"It's locker 23", she said, pointing to the locker opposite us. We walked over to the locker. She leaned closer and whispered. "The combonation is 2354. You can change it later, of course. Don't give me that look"

I laughed again.

"Okay. So here a few of your starter books", she said, handing me a few books.

She took out a piece of paper and gave it to me, "And this. This is your schedule"

I looked down at the paper and twitched my eyebrows. She noticed.

"Is anything wrong?", she said, peering down at the paper.

I smiled at her. "Not really. This just happens to be your schedule", I said, pointing at the top of the paper which said in block letters, 'JASMINE STAN'. I gave it to her. She laughed.

"Sorry 'bout that", she said, skimming through a few papers. she looked up. "I think I left yours' at the office. I'm gonna run and get it. Stay here. Right here!", she said, walking the opposite way.

I stood there, watching people in the hallway. It was awkward actually, people kept looking at me.

This one guy even winked at me. Dude. Whaaaaat?

My cheeks flushed red and I faced the locker. I dialled the combonation and opened it. I started to stack my books inside when I heard a familiar voice.

"You didn't tell me you're coming here"

I slammed the locker door and turned right. I smiled and creased my forehead.

"Austin?"

He placed his hand high on the locker next to mine and smiled. "So you remember me."

I laughed. "Of course. You helped name my dog, remember? How could I possibly forget you?"

He laughed. "Right." There was an awkward silence until he spoke again.

"So...you're the new girl everyone's talking about.", he said, ruffling his hair.

"Yeah...I guess?", I said awkwardly, looking around to see a blond haired girl grimly looking at me.

I leaned closer to him. "Who's she?", I asked, signalling to her with my eyes.

He looked to where my eyes were leading. "Oh her."

"Hey Sam!", he yelled, looking at her.

She raised her eyebrows and walked to where we were standing. She looked at me straight in the eye.

"You're the new girl, huh?"

I laughed nervously. "Yeah, I've been getting that a lot"

Austin smiled. "She's Nicole. Nicole, Samantha."

I smiled and was about to speak when she interrupted.

"Well good luck here.", she hissed. "You're gonna need it." With that, she turned around and made her way out.

Instantaneously, Austin took his hand off the locker. 

I looked at him and took a breath. "Is...is she your girlfriend?"

Austin turned to look at me at once and shook his head. "What? No! She's just a friend", he shrugged. 

"Nicole! Here!", I could hear Jasmine behind me. I looked around and she handed me my schedule.

"First up, you have Bio- TANNER!"

Austin looked at her. "STAN!"

I watched them both as they looked at each other seriously, like they were going to beat each other up. It was getting a bit weird, so I cleared my throat.

They looked at me and burst out laughing. He placed his arm around Jasmine. She laughed. "We've been doing this weird stare thing for what? Twelve years now?", she said.

Austin laughed. "Yeah. Ever since that day you thought I stole your pencil in prek. Best friends ever since!"

I laughed. The bell rang.

"I better get going now. Don't want Mr. Fox to dye my hair blue.", he said.

I crossed my eyebrows. He frowned. "I'll tell you about it in the evening." I smiled.

"See you later Nicole. You too Stan!", he said, leaving for the first period.

I watched him as he left. Jasmine looked at me.

"Don't tell me you like Tanner..."

I blushed. "No...no...we're just friends."

"Good. Cause well. He's one lame guy", she laughed. 

I laughed along.

She smiled and linked her arm through mine.

"Come on. Let's get going.", she said.

I let out a breath.

Time for school.

Real school.