A N G E L

"You're always gonna be my angel, Micheal. Never forget that."

Micheal Vincent Lincoln was a Mama's boy through and through. Not having his army bound father thanks to an explosion, the boy idolized the pastor Sal as a father figure throughout his childhood. His mother, Janet Lincoln was a God loving woman born and raised. She did her best to instill that within her only child, taking the boy to church every Sunday and reading him the Bible at bedtime until he was fast asleep. He adored his mother, the only family he had other than his aunt Marie whom was cut off from the family for marrying her abuser. Nobody talked to her and little Micheal never really knew her all that well but his mom told him that she was family no matter what happens.

God forgave as long as you were willing to forgive yourself first.

Now, Micheal had a good childhood. The quote on quote perfect life scenario. White picket fence surrounding a quaint little suburban home with a small American flag waving in the pampered rose garden within the nicely kept lawn. Inside, a single mother with a love for her Lord, a son with good grades and good character and a golden retriever named Lucky. Perfection. But as wonderful as Micheal's life seemed, the boy and his mother had problems just like everyone else.

Health was the harshest thing within the sixteen year old's life. He was frail, small and skinny for his age, looking about twelve when in reality, he was to be sixteen. His eyesight wasn't the greatest either, having to wear glasses and allergies would be the death of him if he wasn't careful.

 His eyesight wasn't the greatest either, having to wear glasses and allergies would be the death of him if he wasn't careful

Doctors told him that he was going to be okay, his puberty just kicking in late. A late bloomer, they called him. He felt as if he was always going to be this weak, always dreaming to become a man like all the militants that went off to war. And so, he did what he had to stay as healthy as he could, taking all his meds and eating right. He did well. Well enough to the point where when he turned eighteen, he was already the perfect weight for his age and practically got rid of everything that plagued his life full of dread.

If you believe in what God can do and pray everyday, dreams come true.

He did just that too. His mother was proud, the boy taking such good care of not only himself but her as well. The pastor of their Church was proud of him as well, always telling him that when he came in every Sunday with his mother. Soon, Micheal was graduated and ready to take on the world. But first, he started his dream to be in the military. He drafted himself in at nineteen, immediately getting a letter of acceptance back within months of his draft. His mother was scared, what mother wouldn't be? Her son was going off to fight, there being a .1% chance that he could never come back. But he promised her something before he left.

"I'll come back to ya' in one piece, Mama. I promise."

And off he went. Young and restless with an intent to protect as he did his whole life. Except this time, he wasn't just protecting his mother, but the rest of his country as well. The quote on quote perfect life. Son graduated and in the army to serve like his father before him. He knew the hard ships and did his very best everyday with training and such. He even met Alan, his soon to be best friend. The two fighting, training and serving side by side. The o n e time Alan wasn't with him, him and the squadron got pinned down in an abandoned house and surrounded by the enemy on a hostage rescue mission.