Chapter 7 - Torn

Austin POV

The living room was dark, no window shades open or TV on to distract me. Frustrated, I sat in the chair in the corner of the room; running my fingers over the microfiber arm absentmindedly. I knew going to bed was going to be pointless at the moment, I was too restless; lost in thought over something that shouldn't even be an issue.

Riley.

What was I going to do about her? She invaded every thought in my mind and I continued to think about her despite the lectures I mentally gave myself.

I admit I had to do a double take when I saw her first sitting in my classroom; for several reasons. She's gorgeous. With her long, wavy blonde hair and blue eyes, her attentive yet aloof way she attends class. Wanting to learn but not seem over eager, which I can't figure out why because she's extremely smart. She doesn't socialize much except with Mae.

I knew instantly she was going to cause a problem with Mae, I knew it before they collided in my classroom on the first day. I knew it before Mae stood there frozen in panic staring at her ex-best friend, or so she though.

She was doing so well...I thought irritatingly as I stood and paced the floor, running my hands across my face.

I've been meeting with Mae every day after my class, just to make sure she's okay. If she wasn't handling the situation fairly enough I would have Riley transferred to a different class.

A different school if I had my way with it.

She's a distraction, to both of us. Mae seems to be handling it, but I know better.

Frustrated I walk into the kitchen and open the fridge, grabbing a bottle of water and chugging the cool liquid.

Mae hasn't been this drunk since before her stay at the hospital, I know the signs of her depression well. I was surprised when she asked for us to join her and Riley at the club, I figured it was better to go and keep an eye on her than sitting at home wondering how she's doing.

Riley got in the way, though. I frowned and sat down at a chair at the kitchen table, tapping my fingers on the dark wood. I initially agreed to go to keep an eye on Mae and have a drink or two, telling myself I wouldn't get involved with this blonde student.

I let myself get wrapped up in her, I let my guard down and forgot why I was really there. With the way she talks, the way that her nose crinkles when she laughs. The awful way she dances that I find charming. Thankfully Kane was keeping her in his sight, he knew something was wrong when she never came out of the bathroom.

Last time that happened she almost never came out, I won't let that happen again.

I sighed and crossed my arms on the table, leaning my forehead on them. Kane had voiced his concerns in the car, making sure to keep his voice low enough only I could hear him. I agreed with him, we need to have a talk with her, but not in front of Riley. We still don't know much about her.

I hear a key in the front door and turn around; Kane slides past the door and quietly closes it behind him making a bee line for his room.

"Where did you go?"

Kane lets out a startled gasp and jumps, clicking on the living room light and looking around until he spots me in the kitchen. He stands there for a moment before reluctantly coming and sitting across from me.

"I just had to grab something from my car." He fiddles with the collar of his polo shirt and I narrow my eyes at him, years of teaching have taught me to tell when people lie. I knew Kane was lying.

"Oh yeah? What'd you grab?"

"Uhm, a lighter?"

"Was that a question? You don't even smoke."

"Dude chill, I was meeting someone about some computer software." He shifts his weight in his seat and I knew he wasn't telling me the entire truth, I mean come on who meets up for computer shit at 3am? I didn't have the energy to fight it tonight, I had too much on my mind already. I decided to just let it go for now.

I sigh and shrug, he gives me a small smile and stands up quickly making his way towards the door.

"Kane?"

He turns around to look at me "Yeah?"

"Please stay out of trouble." I bore my eyes into his sternly, letting him know I mean it. He gives me a hesitant nod and flips the light off before going to his room.

I lean back in my chair and let out another sigh, I had papers to grade in a few hours and it's going to take everything in me to stay awake. I have all weekend, but I've never been one to procrastinate.

I couldn't turn my mind off, it was a whirlwind of confusion and chaos and leftover alcohol mixing everything together. I wanted Riley, from her records it says she's almost twenty-three years old making her six years younger than I. However, whether or not she's attracted to men much older than her is still a mystery. It didn't seem to faze her when I had that slip up at the club, I almost kissed her. I wanted to; and if Kane hadn't of shown up I would have taken her lips to mine. Thankfully he did.

He alerted me when Mae was in trouble, and he could have possibly saved me from anyone witnessing a professor kissing his student. Although, damage would have been done already being out with them anyways. I have too much at stake to mess things up now.

She's going to be trouble for me.

I have a decision to make...