Chapter 28 - The Draft

"You never told me how long you're staying." I say as I lay on my bed flipping through a magazine. I have no idea who actually reads this stuff, why is it our business which celebrity is getting divorced or who's pregnant? Well, I guess Taylor does because she has several laid out across the room.

Bunch of nonsense. I think to myself as I tossed the magazine onto the bedside table. I look up to Taylor who is digging through the dresser drawers I had emptied out for her clothes.

"Well, that's because I don't know how long I'm staying. Could be a week, could be forever." She turned and stuck her tongue out at me before turning back around.

"What are you looking for anyways? Dear god what is that?"

I sit upright as Taylor turns around and holds up a very small ensemble, it's what I assume is a bra and panties but there's so little fabric I'm not entirely sure.

"My lucky undies, we're going out tonight." She gives me a sly smile before tossing the strips of fabric on my bed and I scoot them away with my foot. "It's Friday, I've been here for two days and I've sat in your apartment while you're at class and work. It's my turn for your attention and you're taking me out, I'm picking your clothes."

I chuckle as she throws my closet doors open and starts filtering through my outfits, slinging hanger after hanger to the side in the search for something of her approval. She does this almost every time we go out.

"You have too many fucking cute clothes, I'm borrowing something." She also does this every time we go out, but I've never minded. We're about the same size, and she comes from a pretty rough family. Every penny she earns goes towards helping her mother with the bills since her father is a piece of shit, so if she wants to wear my clothes by God she can.

I hear her gasp and she whips around, clutching clothing to her chest like a baby.

"I found the perfect outfits. Now, where do you do your makeup?"

An hour later she had us both dolled up. She dressed me in a short, white, lace sundress with a brown belt that matched my cowboy boots. I found an adorable jean jacket to pair it with to keep the cold off my arms. I had texted both Mae and Aimee to see if they wanted to come. Aimee was game, but I never heard back from Mae. I hope she got her phone back from Austin after I put it on his desk.

Aimee told us about a bar towards the north side of town near the college called The Draft; her cousin is the bouncer and can get us past the line so we decided to try it out. It had more of a rustic vibe to it and some loud county music was playing as we walked inside, the whole interior was cedar wood with large wood pillars and in the middle of the place was a large dance floor. Apparently the M.O. for this place is line dancing, I feel right at home.

"Good afternoon ladies," An awkward, skinny, redheaded guy behind the counter greeted us. "It's ladies night, if you want you can buy a bracelet that let's you drink all night for twenty bucks."

He stands there twisting a bar towel between his hands as we all agree. He grabs the bands and starts putting them around our wrists, careful not to touch any of us. When he gets to Taylor she brushes her fingers along his wrist causing him to jerk back, he gathers our money and walks away; face beat red.

"Poor kid." She gives me a wink and sips her drink as Aimee lets out a laugh; I just smile and shake my head. That's Taylor for you.

"I've never lined danced before." Taylor and I turn to Aimee, who's staring at the dance floor in longing. "I really want to learn, but I can't do it in front of everyone."

"Sure you can." Taylor pats her shoulder and cocks her head to the side to look at her. "Down your liquid courage, take a deep breath, walk out there with confidence and I'll show you."

Taylor throws her head back and chugs the rest of her drink before grabbing Aimee's hand and puling her towards the dance floor. Aimee hastily takes a drink and puts the glass back on the bar before running after Taylor, I laugh and sit at the bar sipping my drink playing body guard for our wallets.

"You look awfully nice this evening." I feel a guy sit at the stool beside me and I turn to see guilt rose guy grinning at me.

"Hey you! Did your mom enjoy her flowers?"

He nods his head and takes a drink from his glass, "She loved them. Roses are her favorite flower, and she forgave me pretty quickly." He grins again and leans both elbows back on the bar as he looks towards the dance floor.

"So uhm, who's your friend?" He nods towards Aimee and Taylor, Taylor teaching Aimee the basic electric slide dance as they both laugh.

"Well the one in the torn black skinny jeans and electric blue tank top is Aimee; you can always pick her out of a crowd. If you don't notice her usual odd clothing style her mint colored hair always gives it away." I say with a chuckle. "And the one in the tight black dress with the fringe on it is my best friend, Taylor. She's visiting from home, just got here a few days ago. You can always find her in the center of the attention."

"I was asking about Taylor, she's really pretty." I look at him and he smiles at me. He looks back at the dance floor and blushes, turning back towards the bar quickly. I look back and both of the girls are walking back up to us, grinning and falling over each other in laughter.

"Aimee is actually really horrible at line dancing." Taylor laughs as she falls back onto her bar stool.

"Hey, I'm not horrible I just don't have any rhythm. I'll learn."

It took a few seconds but Taylor finally noticed the guy sitting next to me. She waltz's over and stands beside his shoulder between us and gives him a grin.

"So Riley, who's your friend?"

The night goes on, with too much dancing and too many drinks. Taylor and the rose guy, who's name is apparently Corbin, have seemed to hit it off pretty quickly. We all danced to Copperhead Road and attempted to teach Aimee the dance, to no avail. Corbin's friend, I already forgot his name, spilled a drink on some dudes girlfriend and got punched in the mouth causing the bouncer to kick them both to the curb.

"Well this has been fun; I had a great time until Josh fucked it all up." Corbin chuckled as he stood there with his hands in his jean pockets. "Hey, uh, we're headed to the Alpha Phi frat party after this. If you guys are interested in an after party we'll be there probably until the sun comes up."

"That sounds like a blast; we'll be there in a little bit." Taylor snags Corbin's phone from the pocket on his plaid shirt and starts typing.

"Text me later." She gives him a flirty wink and places his phone back in his pocket. His face turns red and he gives her an awkward smile before heading out the front door. She turns around and looks at us, grinning as she runs her fingers through her hair.

"She's going to eat him alive." I turn to Aimee and I nod in agreement.