Chapter 53 - On the Edge

I have to admit, if I was confused before I definitely was now.

"Why was Kane following you?"

Mae stared at me for a moment which made me irritated, I needed answers and she's taking her sweet ass time.

"You know, I always thought you were smart." She snorts out a dry laugh, seemingly in my expense and I give her another frown.

"Kane may have had some run ins with some not-so-stand-up people over some stupid computer shit." She shakes her head mockingly. "But he's no murderer, he doesnt have the balls for it."

I squeeze my eyes shut, I'm quickly running out of patience and quickly getting angrier by the second. If my heart beat any faster I fear it would jump right out of my chest, leaving a gaping hole.

It's already a gaping hole...

"It was me." She said nonchalantly with a shrug, and I really hoped I was wrong about my assumptions.

"It was you....doing what, exactly?" I squint at her and cross my arms, maybe if I squeeze hard enough it'll calm my erratic breathing.

"I killed those people."

My jaw dropped opened as I stared at her blank expression, no sigh of remorse or guilt anywhere in sight.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" I couldn't help myself, I snapped. There's only so much information one can handle before their mind has had enough.

In an instant the fingers on my right hand curled into a fist, and I swung at her. I saw a brief flash of shock before my fist slammed into her nose, a satisfying crunch filled the room and red droplets immediately fell to the concrete.

"You BITCH!" She screeched, clutching to her face. Her eyes were blazing over where her hand covered her nose, I couldn't help but smile a little as I flex my fingers.

That smile faded as she lunged herself at me, clawing and slapping was apparently her forte and somehow in trying to fend her off she scrambled onto my back.

"Get off me you damn spider monkey." I growled through my clenched jaws. I took several fast steps backwards and slammed hard against the concrete wall, hearing a crack. I smiled triumphly before realizing that was my weapon breaking not her back.

Mother fu...

My thoughts were cut short as she fell to the floor and swung her legs at me, knocking me off balance I stumbled forwards. On the floor I find myself staring at the concrete and realization stumbled onto me.

My best weapon was all around me.

I felt her tense behind me and heard her lunge, before her body slammed into mine I leaned to the side.

With a cry she hits the concrete, keeping her head up she managed to keep it from knocking against the hard surface.

How unfortunate.

In an instant I reach my hand forward and grab a fistful of hair. Will all of my effort I jerk her head back before throwing it forward. I wince in second hand pain sympathy as she lays there limp.

I press two fingers against her neck and I feel a heartbeat. I frown.

I'm not sure if I'm happy I didn't kill her...or mad I didn't kill her. I shrug and get up, making my way towards the stairs where she stupidly left the door open.

I take the rickety things two at a time,   glancing back down to make sure Satan hasn't woke up to drag be back into hell.

Upstairs I quickly shut the door behind me, I glance around at the dark interior of a house, the kitchen to be exact. I scowl at the unfamiliar home and I make my way across the aged hardwood flooring. Digging through the drawers I search for a knife, or a fork, or anything really.