Mission Start

Karen's POV

One month ago

I leaned back against the booth seat in Starbucks, scrolling through tumblr on my phone. Boring. Boring. Hey that's funny. Boring. I heard someone sit down in front of me. I looked up and saw a blonde haired woman. She had brown eyes and a childish face, but I could tell she was in her early thirties.

"Can I help you?"I asked. She grinned and passed me a Manila folder. I accepted it, placing my phone in my pocket. I opened it and saw pictures of a male teenager, about my age.

"My name is of no importance, nor is the man hiring you. He wishes for you to dispose of the vampire. Payment can be up front if you wish, or can be provided after,"the woman told me. I pulled a picture out and looked at it. "His information is in the folder."

"How much?"I asked, shoving the pictures back into the folder. She grinned.

"One million yen,"the woman told me. My eyes widened before I returned to my normal appearance. (A/n: one million yen=8,870 in US dollars and 7,383 in euros.) I held my hand out to her.

"Then we shake on it. Payment can be provided now, please. Location as well,"I replied. She shook my hand and reached in her large purse for an envelope with the money and passed it to me.

"Location is also in the information. Pleasure doing business with you,"the woman spoke. She stood and left.

Now

That's how I was in this situation. Now I was stuck playing a nice girl in some night class school, enrolled into my targets homeroom class. My target. A pureblood vampire, son of Karl Heinz, one of the biggest pureblood vampire heads in the world.

I walked down the hallway toward my classroom and plastered my fake little smile on my face. I strode in with my small bag, and hummed a Metallica song(which would be unrecognizable to these prep school knockoffs) as I made my way to my desk. I hung the bag on the little spot on the desk and sat in my chair.

"Ahhhh, Karennnn!"a voice jingled. I glanced to see a young girl, who I'd learned was named Yui and was actually living with my target, skip into the classroom over to me. She grinned at me happily. "How was your weekend?" I smiled at her with closed eyes. None of your business bitch.

"It was pretty good, I got to watch that new tv show that came out!"I told her happily. It was a lie of course. Everything in this moment, about me, was a lie. My smile. My high pitched voice. My cheerful appearance. Even the way I was sitting. "Oh, there's the bell! You better go, I don't want you to get in trouble!" She nodded happily.

"Alright! Come see me at lunch!"Yui told me cheerfully. She skipped out the door, past him. My target. Laito Sakamaki. He walked over, as his desk was just behind mine, and he took his seat, not forgetting his nightly hat tipping with his fedora. He did that to me every chance he got. I think it was his way of acknowledging me, as if maybe that would make me fall for him like the three girls in this class had. They were all over him, in fact it was kind of regular for me to receive glares and accusations of flirting with him. I noticed another identified vampire, Kou Mukami, waltz in the door. He made his normal awkward eye contact thing with me and I smiled at him sweetly. The teacher came in and scrawled STUDY HALL across the board.

Great. Another reason for me to hate being here, I thought. Not only did I hate this fake act, I hated people. If it was up to me I'd remain secluded from everyone. Boy would that be nice. I imagined a small cabin up in the mountains, hidden in the woods where no one could find me. Man.

"Asahinnnnaaaaa,"a voice whined. I jolted out of my spacing out and turned to see Laito giving me a playful pout. So annoying. How have hunters not offed this loser before? I gave him a grin.