Chapter 49: Marks

Chapter 49: Marks

Previously...

I nod and indicate to Crystal to take a picture of it. After she's done, she quickly shows the photo to Ashen, however, he doesn't seem surprised. Suddenly, he starts to unravel the bandages and begins to move his arm around as if to stretch it.

I let out a loud gasp. His dislocated shoulder and broken arm should've taken several weeks to heal before he could move it again.

"I guess I should explain then..." He starts, trying not to make any eye contact with me.
_____________________________________

I watch Ashen carefully, as he shuffles around anxiously and looks everywhere else but at me.

"Ummm... How do I put it... I'll just let Skull explain," he begins, trying to find the right words, before allowing Skull to take control. His eyes start to glow a dark blue indicating that Skull is now in control.

"Ever since Ashen was a child, he has had this mark on his neck. He didn't know why until he found you, Avery. It's because you are the destined pair of legend, that the goddess has given you the mark of the earth and moon, once you had found all your powers." Skull explains, trying to make it easy to understand. He hesitates before continuing, as if it was a touchy subject. "When Ashen was being kept behind silver bars by the rogues, his mark slowly disappeared as the silver seeped into his blood. That's why it's only appearing again at this time. You both touched when Avery had found all her powers and the silver in Ashen's blood was removed." However, one thing wasn't adding up to Skull's story.

"What I don't get though, Skull, is that you said he had the mark as a child. Wouldn't he have gotten it when I found all my powers?" I ask curiously, hoping I'm not barging in on any personal information. Before answering again, he let's out a quiet sigh.

"Well, as you've noticed, there's something else going on with this mark." He says, gesturing towards Ashen's once-broken arm. "He has had this ability to self heal whilst he has this mark. I guess it because he is your mate. Whilst you gain three powers, Ashen only has one, which he has had from a young age."

With all this new information, my brain goes dead. So... Ashen has a magical power too?! Millions of questions race through my head, making it impossible to think clearly. Hopefully, Skull can clear up some of the questions for me.

"Just a few questions Skull..." Recieveing a short nod from him, I continue. "How come he hasn't healed or told me about it before?" I would think that, after we escaped, his body would heal the injuries from being captured, but he didn't.

"Well... That's the thing. After Ashen turned 6, he found me, similar to how Celestial found you. When the previous white wolf died, her mate also did too. We both searched for a suitable pair that would be able to prevent the upcoming war, however, we didn't have much luck. So when I found Ashen, who was without a wolf, I binded myself to his spirit. However, I was meant to lie dormant within his spirit, until Celestial also found a suitable successor. When this happened I noticed he started developing this power and this mark slowly started appearing." He hesitates, thinking about what to say next. It seems as though he was leaving some information out, but it wasn't my business to pry further into it. The one thing that confused me was that he said he was meant to lie dormant... Does that mean he didn't? He takes a short breathe before continuing again.

"Then the rogues found Ashen when he was around 12, and captured him. He was kept behind Silver bars which weakened my connection with him, and the mark started to slowly fade away. Up until a few moments ago, he didn't have the mark, because of the silver in his veins. The reason why he didn't tell you, was because he had thought he had lost it forever. But it seems due to you finding all your powers, you have developed a similar mark as well, and when you touch him, your power reawakened his. That's probably what the bright light was."

"Okay... One more question. If we have these marks because we are the destined pair, then how come they aren't the same marks?" I ask, wondering why mine had more details, even though Ashen had found his first.

"I can explain that one, Avery," Celestial's voice echoes around the room as if she's projecting it. "Thats be sure I am projecting my voice out, Avery..." Skull let's out a short laugh, indicating he can hear her too.

"Since you have three different powers, three elements have appeared on your mark. Firstly theres the connection to the sun. Then there's the moon, which you can see inside the sun. Then finally the swirls to the side, indicate your connection to the ocean. All these elements are what keeps the earth alive and your job is to save the world. Whilst you have three powers, Ashen only has one, which is why his mark only shows the moon. His connection to the Moon Goddess indicates that he is apart of the destined pair. Hopefully that all makes sense to your simple brain." Even during serious matters, she still taunts me... Although, I still didn't get half of what she said, but I'm going to pretend that I did.

'Told you, you have a simple brain,' Celestial says, her voice no longer echoing in the room, but rather in my head.

"WAIT YOU FOUND YOUR FINAL POWER?!" A voice from the corner of the room yells out, causing both me and Ashen (who was still currently Skull) I had totally forgotten that Crystal followed after me and was in the room the whole time. I go to answer, however, another voice interrupts within my head.

'AVERY! WHEN WERE YOU GOING TO INTRODUCE ME TO YOUR MATE?!' My mother yells, through the family mind-link.

'Sorry Ave, it kinda came up in conversation...' Kyle joins in, apologizing.

'COME HOME RIGHT NOW, AND BRING YOUR MATE! WE ARE HAVING A FAMILY DINNER!' Mum shouts once again, causing my ears to ring from her loudness. Skull looks at me curiously, probably realising that someone is communicating with me.

"Sorry Skull, would you be able to let Ashen back in control... My mother wants to meet him..."

_____________________________________
Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed the chapter. I'll keep it short today and just say that I'll try to get another chapter out soon for you guys.

Thanks for reading
~Willow