1

Keelia Adams grew up in a wealthy family on a grand estate. The flowers would bloom magnificent violets and blues in the spring, expressing their joy of a new season and new beginnings. The trees would sway in the cool autumn breeze and be a warning that winter; a very beautiful time of year was to come. However, winter was now gone, and spring was transitioning into the hot months of summer.

Keelia was what many called, a strange young woman, seeing that she was always so full of joy and almost never cross. She saw the beauty in most everything, the trees, the doves, even the small teacups in the parlor. She thought that the world held such beauty and never took her sight for granted.

Keelia stood in front of her mirror, gussying herself up for the ball that evening. She had tied ribbons into her red hair and small pins that held delicate lilies in place of which seemed to match her pale skin. She peered closer into the mirror, cursing the freckles that dusted her nose and checks. Those things she didn't like at all. Her elder sisters didn't have a spot or freckle upon their smooth faces and Keelia envied them.

Charlotte and Victoria were the very definition of beauty, their soft strawberry curls were always in perfect alignment, adding to their remarkable soft golden skin of which the sun had generously given them. They were tall and thin, and many gentlemen had confessed that their beauty was beyond compare. Keelia was always the one that was left forgotten in the minds full of her sisters' magnificence.

The sound of shuffling feet came from the doorway, causing the floorboards to creak beneath her feet. There was a slight knock at the door that seemed to echo in Keelia's head. She wasn't ready yet; she needed to do something else for the people out there to receive her own unique beauty. She wanted to be noticed in the bright eyes of the young gentlemen downstairs, she wanted to be admired even in the littlest of ways.

"Keelia, darling," spoke her lovely mother through the hard wooden door, "we mustn't be late for the ball."

Keelia glanced back into the mirror but did not reply. She was both nervous and excited at the same time. She didn't know how such things could happen, but here she was, fretting over her appearance in the mirror while her elegant mother waited at the door. "I'll be just a moment more," she settled on saying.

Her mother entered the room and brought with her a magical presence that only her mother could create. Soft golden curls were pinned back so nicely, her blue irises were like pools of sparkling water on her smooth face. Keelia hadn't inherited any of her mother's beauty like her sisters had; she appeared more like her father, fiery red hair, and eyes of a deep meadow green. However, she had received her mother's smooth jawline, high cheekbones and her freckles, albeit more than her mother had.

Mrs. Adams adored her youngest daughter the most out of all her children. It wasn't something she'd ever admit to, but it was true nonetheless. She knew her daughter was plain in the sense of appearance, but it was her inner beauty that she most adored. Keelia had a bright personality that her sisters and father could never hope to achieve. Mrs. Adams hoped that she'd never lose that aspect of her personality.

She smiled at her daughter, "Let me have a look at you."

Keelia spun about, stopping when she faced her mother. A couple of golden pins fell from her hair and clattered onto the wooden floor below. Her mother chuckled and bent down to pick them up. She curtsied so elegantly, Keelia could only hope to be half as perfect as her mother was. Then maybe she'd attract a handsome gentleman to offer his hand in marriage. However, she could only hope.

Mrs. Adams moved her daughter to stand in front of the mirror again; the gas lantern lit up the background of the room and reflected itself in the mirror. The sun had gone to bed and now was the time to go to the ball that was just downstairs.