11

The tent was alive with happiness and joy for the oncoming opening night. The strong men were having fun balancing petite women on their arms. The jugglers threw knives back and forth, while the contortionists tumbled around in their flashy costumes. All the activities were covered in the flickering light of nearby torches and large bonfire and everyone was having a grand time.

Sitting in a darker corner was the ringmaster's grá, sitting alone and thinking to herself. Even with all these festive nymphs dancing about around her, she couldn't help but mourn the passing of her family. Until two nights before, Keelia still held the hope deep down that her family was just fine. But ever since seeing that pile of ash which used to be her home, all hope and faith escaped from her.

The laughter and joyous shrieks seemed to never reach her, but rather avoided her ears. She was lost away in thought, and didn't mind staying there forever. Her arms rubbed themselves, the gooseflesh was more prominent than ever and seemed like it'd never disappear. Her heart was heavy and she didn't feel much of anything anymore. It was funny how one little moment could depict what an individual would experience for the rest of their lives.

Aibreann observed the scene around herself and Keelia, taking in the laughter and bright joy emanating from her fellow nymph people. In comparison, Keelia's once radiant face was now sickly pale and her brilliantly green eyes appeared sunken and lifeless. Aibreann had told Lorcan it was a terrible idea to take Keelia to her ruined home once they had gotten back.

Aibreann bumped her arm into her companion's side. Keelia instantly straightened up and pulled herself from her deep thoughts, brandishing a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Why don't you join the fun, dear?" Aibreann asked.

Keelia smirked. "I would much rather watch all those people enjoy themselves. Besides, I'd better save my energy. The opening show is only a week away. Tadhg and I have been practicing really diligently. Wouldn't want all that effort to go to waste."

Aibreann looked at the delicate girl, her own expression softening into a sad frown. The poor girl had gone through much and still had more to endure. Aibreann felt as though a storm was coming, she could tell from deep in her bones. Something was terribly wrong in Abbey Way's neighborhood.

"Are you enjoying your time here?" Aibreann asked suddenly, observing those dancing around a bonfire. Maeve was dancing about, being spied on by her own secret admirer. Aibreann thought the animal tamer and the fire breather would be a wonderful pair, but the two were way too stubborn to do anything about it.

Keelia shrugged, letting out a sigh. "It's a wonderful place. It's so full of magic and general splendor. Everyone is so kind and generous towards me I could very well say they are like a second family, but..."

Aibreann nodded. "Out with it."

Keelia's sad eyes met her friend's. "But they are not my true family."

Aibreann almost felt a slight annoyance with that statement. They had taken her under their wing only to be judged based on the premise of blood relations. But, she had to remember a time when she was taken away from her own husband and children. This girl had been stripped of her family relations in a similar way and there was no need to blame her. She was only doing what came natural to her.

Keelia's eyes widened in shock. "Oh goodness! I really shouldn't have said that. You have treated me with such respect and here I am, saying that you're not good enough-"

Aibreann held up a hand. "I understand what you intended to say. There was no harm done."

Keelia sported a slight, but genuine smile for but a moment, then it disappeared the same way the night does when the sun rises in the east.