8

Thomas settled himself down on the stool at the bar. The barkeep was busy supplying other patrons while Thomas drank from his glass. Stella was still locked up in his cellar, most likely weeping into her ruined gown after the beating she had experienced. Thomas hated hurting his love in such a way, but saw that there was no other method to use. She would have to talk and reveal her daughter's whereabouts sooner or later.

Thomas thought back to the moment when he had first met his love. It was a warm summer's day, the sun was shining, the birds were singing. It really was a perfect day. And how perfect it had been to meet Stella in that afternoon, her hair had been beautifully done. Her eyes were like the blue pools of water on the Adams' estate in the distance. Her complexion had been beyond magnificent and Thomas knew at that moment that he'd love Stella forever. It was a shame that she didn't love him in return.

Suddenly, a loud couple of men burst through the pub doors and were in hysterics. One man was clutching at the other, while the other pushed the one man away. A thing they had in common was wide brown eyes. Both were huffing and puffing from a long and panic run from the forest and they were now looking for a place to rest.

Thomas watched these men, as he couldn't call them gentlemen based on their attire. They were dressed in worn clothing that seemed to scream help when Thomas looked at them. Their hair was oily and dirty, probably due to neglect of proper hygiene for weeks. Thomas decided that he was better off to ignore anything they would say next. You couldn't trust what drunken men said anyways.

"There was a guy... our friend... killed him..."

At those choice sections of the conversation the men were having with the bar tender, Thomas found interest in what they were saying. Even if it were all just an illusion of the mind, Thomas would find great entertainment in the aspect.

"After we left the pub, Frankie, Jon and I all went out into the woods."

The bartender leaned over the bar and shook his head, "You're drunk out of your skulls, why would you go into the woods? You idiots or something?"

The man shook his head as well. "We went off to the woods because of those weird tales of magical beings being there, Todd. Frankie," he pointed to the man beside him, "led the way, saying the he heard something like magic. We followed and then we saw this beautiful girl with fire red hair."

Todd picked up a wet glass and began drying it with a towel. "And I suppose this girl was magic, huh Walter?"

Walter nodded, "Everything she touched in them woods lit up like lanterns."

Todd scoffed, "Okay Walt, I think you've had too much to drink. Time to go home to Marjorie and get some sleep, huh?"

"But then some guy came and killed Frankie!" Jon burst. "He killed him for no good reason!"

Todd looked doubtful. "When you three are with each other, it's always your fault whether you admit it or not. Go home, both of you." He turned away and went to attend the other bar patrons.

Thomas instantly stood from his stool. "Come now, you can't expect any man to believe such a tale."

Walter and Jon stared at Thomas. "You callin' us liars?"

Thomas took a large gulp of his brown ale. "It's exactly what I'm doing."

Jon took an unsteady step towards Thomas. "You better take that back, old man."

Thomas chuckled, "Or what? You can't even stand on your own two feet, let alone throw a punch in my direction."

Walter ran a muddy hand over his face, "We can prove it to you." He glanced at Jon. "We can show you where the body is."