4

Keelia scrutinized the outfit that Maghnus had given her to wear. The tight pants hugged closely to her thin legs and the top was just as fitting. Keelia would never leave this hut without proper clothing on. She refused to show off so much of her body to people she hardly knew.

"Come now," Maghnus said in a gentle tone. "This is more than what you will wear for the actual show."

Keelia's green eyes bugged out, detailing her position against such a thing. "You can't be serious! I am a lady and ladies do not show so much skin to strangers!"

Maghnus ran a hand over his bearded face. "You will have to get used to it, dearie. Might as well start now."

Keelia placed her hands on her thin waist, accenting how stubborn she was willing to be. "Well, Maghnus, isn't there something else to wear?"

He gave a toothy smile, showing that one back molar was indeed a gold one. He placed the end of a pipe in his mouth and inhaled a deep breath. The smell of tobacco danced around in the smoke that exited his lungs, rings of smoke floated up towards the opening in the top of the large tent.

"No, there isn't, Keelia. You will have to wear what is offered to you. I don't have your costume finished just yet."

Keelia sighed in defeat, knowing that she would have to get up on the high wire that had the thickness of a couple hairs together. The sun was shining radiantly through small holes in the top of the large tent and cascaded down onto the sandy floor below. Keelia was unsure of the possible results of tightrope walking. However, she would rather walk of the darned thing than be fed to a ravenous dragon.

"Alright, M-Maghnus," she stuttered. "Let's get moving."

He grinned softly, knowing quite well how much courage she had to gather in order to find herself on that high wire. Maghnus led her to the ladder that would help Keelia to the platform above their heads. The ladder was a bit wobbly, threatening to topple over while Keelia climbed up with sweaty palms.

Maghnus found his place on the sturdy platform and cocked his hip, "We haven't got all day, princess. You need to be spectacular by the end of the month because that is when the opening show takes place."

Keelia had made it halfway up the ladder when she suddenly had an urge to look down behind her. She instantly wished she hadn't. The ground seemed to spin around her as she clung to the ladder, feeling her stomach travel straight to her chest.

"Why must it be so high up?" Keelia mumbled, her voice shaking. "I might fall and end my life at any moment."

The wind blew in from the cool summer day outside the grand tent, causing Keelia to shiver and her teeth to clench. She had woken up to see a thin layer of frost on the minty green moss beneath her feet. She had hoped that the summer day would warm up as the hours passed but to no avail. Keelia really didn't like the cold.

Maghnus sighed as he waited for Keelia to reach the top. The way she was going, they'd never have the tightrope act perfected in time. She couldn't even climb a ladder to get to the platform without fear. Maghnus shook his head. It was going to be a long day.

Planting her feet firmly on the platform, Keelia refused to look down anymore. It would only make learning to cross the tightrope that much harder than it previously had been. Maghnus moved closer to the high wire, his back facing out into the open space around the tightrope. Keelia was sure that he would inch back too far and fall to his death. She looked down at him and awaited his instructions.

"Now," Maghnus began, "watch carefully."

Maghnus then advanced out onto the tightrope without turning around from his previous position. He was walking out onto it backwards! Keelia felt a pang in her stomach for fear of what might happen to the man. Maghnus' facial expression was one of concentration. His lips were pursed and his brow was knitted. His arms were placed at his sides, but his fists were balled up quite tightly, Keelia could see his knuckles whiten just a bit.