7

"Look at how grand you are!" shouted Maghnus from the sandy ground below. "You walk upon the wire with such poise, it is magnificent!"

Keelia smiled at Maghnus' compliment. She really had excelled these past few days. The encouragement from Maeve, Maghnus and Aibreann had been just what she needed. And not to mention the slight bows and grins from the ringmaster himself had helped some as well.

"Keep going, Keelia!" Maeve hollered up to her friend. She really did value Keelia's friendship, despite the fact that she was human. However, Keelia did possess the Touch, which in turn meant that she was very special, indeed.

Keelia glanced down and now felt no presence of fear she had previously experienced. The butterflies in her stomach had calmed and she was able to walk along the wire with a clear head. The one thing she would be nervous for later was the dancing routine that Tadhg would have to teach her. Keelia feared falling once more, but didn't let it affect her at that moment in time.

Lorcan stood by the tent opening, eyeing the graceful tightrope walker. He had doubted that such poise and elegance could come from girl so unsure of herself. However, she had turned into a tiny rose bud that was eager to blossom. Lorcan waited eagerly for that day. Then he looked down at his now scared hands. The curse was advancing to the point of no return, and Lorcan feared that Keelia wouldn't see through his skin and into his heart. He feared that she would be repulsed by the beast he was turning into. Who could ever love a beast?

Keelia found herself on the sandy ground once more, stretching out her leg muscles while walking with Maeve. She smiled at the nymph girl, seeing that such confidence was improving within her character. Maeve was more talkative and bond than she had once been. And all it took was someone speaking with her and including her in Keelia's practice. Sometimes huge things came in little packages.

Keelia stood in the middle of Maghnus and Maeve and was headed to the tent opening. She hadn't noticed the Ringmaster there before, but when he stopped her with one of his charming smiles, her heart fluttered.

"May I have the pleasure of dining with you tonight, Keelia?" Lorcan asked in a most gentleman-like manner.

Keelia glanced at both Maghnus and Maeve. Maghnus shrugged while Maeve seemed to hide her grin, but was failing horribly.

Maghnus cleared his throat. "I'm sure that you have no other prior engagements with anyone, a dinner with Lorcan wouldn't hurt in the least." Maghnus knew that Keelia looked to him for guidance and reassurance, but he believed that she should learn to make her own decisions. "But it is entirely up to you, my dear."

Keelia glanced at Maeve again, silently requesting for further insight, but received no answer. She then turned to Lorcan and bowed. "I'd be delighted, sir."

Lorcan smiled, "My name is Lorcan, and I'd like you to call me that instead of sir. Sir makes me sound old."

Keelia had to stifle a giggle, knowing that Lorcan was much older than what he appeared to be. He was older than her great grandfather, for goodness sake!

She grinned up at the Ringmaster, "Of course."

Lorcan offered out a hand and Keelia was hesitant at first to take it. The last time she was taken to Lorcan's tent, she had been suggested to be dragon food.

Lorcan's smile disappeared. His high spirits for the evening had sunken down low with the thoughts of Keelia refusing him because of his growing scars. His once smooth hands were no more, the scar on his lip had grown and protruded out the opposite side of his bottom lip. He compared his grotesque appearance to Keelia's beauty, he could understand her hesitation.