17

Stella stood in the middle of Maghnus' hut. Not one emotion was upon her face as she remained motionless and as silent as a church mouse. Keelia watched her mother grieve in her own way. She wasn't going to rush her. Everyone had their own process.

Keelia spied a blushing Maeve talking with Phelan, feeling happiness for her friend. She finally found the courage to talk to the nymph her heart had chosen. Keelia stifled a chuckle. Her friend had to have found bravery after what had happened.

All the men that had been spared by Lorcan's performers had their memories erased of such a place and were returned to their families. Keelia had pleaded with Lorcan not to kill them. His scarred face had twisted with defiance, but soon found reason within Keelia's request.

These men had been lead to a battle that didn't concern them in the first place. It was Thomas' fault, after all.

Keelia glanced skyward, noting the moon had disappeared and the sun was soon approaching the horizon. Keelia rushed into Maghnus' hut and sighed. She then hugged her mother from behind and squeezed tightly. At first Stella did nothing. She didn't blink, nor did she acknowledge the presence of her only daughter.

But the soft caress of her mother's hands left a smile on Keelia's face. Her hands should have been covered in calluses, but her touch was as soothing as ever.

"Have a good day, little dancer," Stella said as a tear slid down her cheek. "I will be back once the sun sets."

Then, within Keelia's arms, Stella was condensed into a small but bright star in a whirlwind of glimmering green dust. Stella came to rest in Keelia's palms. She was soon placed into her glass case and her daughter blew a light kiss. "I love you, mum."

Keelia left the hut and found Lorcan standing just outside. Maeve was still off speaking with a smiling Phelan and that gave Keelia a push of sorts.

So many things had happened during the night. Lives were lost and saved. The seconds between life and death were shorter than what anyone would expect. They were but moments, but when one was to think back and analyze those moments, they'd play in one's mind over and over for an eternity.

Even though life was the longest thing anyone could experience, it seemed as though it always went by in a flash. The most a person could do was seize the day and not to take life for granted. So many things could be lurking around the corner and having someone by your side to endure all the crazy carriage rides was one of the best things a person could do.

As Keelia gazed up into Lorcan's amber eyes, she knew that having the man she loved at her side would be a very good decision.

"Lorcan," she began, but she was silenced by one of Lorcan's fingers to her lips.

"Please, if you must leave this place after all the trauma that took place here, I understand." Lorcan's brows furrowed.

Keelia giggled. "I can't leave."

Lorcan's eyes brightened. "You can't?"

"No," she stated. "My mother can't leave."

"Oh." Lorcan deflated.

"But," Keelia continued. "I do have something else I need to say."

Lorcan listened, eager to hear anything that came out of that beautiful girl's mouth.

Keelia didn't quite know how to confess love to another person. The men that had courted her late sisters had spouted words of affection and love, but she knew that they never meant the things they said. Her sisters had never spoken of love to her. They had always been off enjoying tea with their friends.

She would have to improvise.

"Lorcan," Keelia began. "I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing this right, but..."

Lorcan held his breath.

"I love you," she said bluntly. "Have for a little bit now but never knew if you felt the same. I was afraid you'd reject my affections, but now I don't care."

She looked up at him with a challenge. A challenge to throw her words back in her face and stomp away. Too bad he would have to disappoint her.

"My dear, Keelia," he cupped one of her cheeks. "That was perfect. And, I love you too."

There, he had said it. And he didn't even care if he'd have to spend the rest of his life as a circus Ringmaster. He didn't care if his face and body was covered in grotesque marks. And he sure didn't mind never returning to his homeland. He had Keelia's love. That was all he could ever want ever again.

However, before Keelia could say anything, the rose adorned staff within his grasp shattered. The little bits floated about Lorcan and blurred his body from before Keelia. The shattered bits spun about him, around and around, almost to the point of making Keelia quit dizzy.

Nymphs all around rushed to Lorcan to observe this weird happening. Some held smiles upon their faces and others were staring on with awestruck expressions. But Keelia didn't really acknowledge them as she watched Lorcan's blurry shape in front of her.

Maeve whispered to Keelia, "It's about time you meet the real Lorcan of Clan Dragún."

The pieces of the rose staff disappeared within the air and before Keelia stood a whole new man. His hair was neatly slicked back, its golden shade shined in the bright morning light. His skin was bronze as though it had been kissed by the sun and his eyes were no longer predator-like, but rather soft and inviting.

The new Lorcan was very handsome, indeed. But Keelia was glad to have helped lift the curse. He would be able to go home now and that was evident upon his face.

From within the crowd stood Aibreann, smiling as radiantly as ever. She emerged and found herself at her brother's side and drew him in for a hug.

"Now I'll be able to see my precious Darragh and Siobhan. I hope they remember me," she whispered to Lorcan.

"How could they forget a wonderful woman like you?"

She smiled and pulled away. "It's time for you to spend the rest of your days with your loved one."

Suddenly a bright light seemed to emanate from one side of the circus grounds and continued to grow gradually, reaching out to the surrounding huts and blinding them from everyone's vision.

Lorcan smiled. "Time to go home."

Then the light engulfed them, taking the circus back to the Land of Nymph, a land where the children would play without a care in the world. The grass swayed and sparkled with every gust of the warm breeze on a lazy afternoon.

It was a place where Maghnus would be given the proper burial rights of his clan and Stella would finally be back where she had been happy once long ago.

It was a place where Circus of the Beast was no longer needed. It was a place where Lorcan and Keelia would start a magnificent life. Together.