Cancer

Caden Lists had rejected yet another woman. Being a King meant, daughters of other nobility will aim for your hand, but he was young in comparison and smart. Caden knew who was insincere or not. He was smart enough to let others down gently but firmly.

He wanted to get married to a woman who would suit him. It was getting tiring since he was nearing his twenty-fourth birthday. He couldn't prolong this anymore. He worriedly sits at his desk wondering what do. His wife must be competent to be able to rule a country but also a good-natured person, so the people will give him more support. He was hoping for his birthday that he would have found a suitable wife.

You were going to attend Caden Lists' birthday party on behalf of your sister⎯⎯⎯half sister to be more accurate. You were a bastard child of the Lord Tiene but was born a little while after his legitimate daughter. Both of you happen to look similar growing up, and they took full advantage of it.

Lord Tiene made you the companion of his daughter Scarlet. He would dote on his daughter. If there were any public services Scarlet didn't want to do, you would have to do in her stead. It was rather abusive in your opinion, but you put up with it for the sake of your mother who currently was ill. Once she died, you would leave. Lord Tiene did pay you, not much, but he did pay.

Lord Tiene did try to convince you not to leave, once someone told him of your plans. You remained firm about it though then he did what he did best: mock you and try to bring down your spirits, and Scarlet joined in too. The way they treated you led you to be quiet most of the time since you found it safer not to express your opinions in front of anyone as anyone can rat you out.

Scarlet was sick this time or so she claimed. A pretty woman she was, so naturally, she had suitors. She said to you to go find her a husband who would be handsome and reject all who weren't beautiful in her eyes. You only nodded that day. In the carriage, Scarlet's caretaker was listing things that were to be done, and you were listening half-heartedly. When she notices this she sighs annoyed.

"Really. Your father sent you here to do something nice for your sister. For once can't you be grateful," she says disapprovingly. You only look at her.

"Since when did he consider himself my dad? And since when was I considered his daughter?" The caretaker made the motions to slap you, but you stop her by saying. "You better be careful. If you slap me, technically you are slapping Scarlet." She puts her hand down grudgingly.

When you arrived, you were shown to your room another party where she would smile and wave. You pitied the man who would wind up marrying Scarlet. Nevertheless, someone would. You wondered about your mother. When she told Lord Tiene she was pregnant, his only words to her were, "Only if he is a son." If you were born male, you believed life would be different. You would have been loved, but you are happy though. You weren't a part of their life directly, and soon you would be able to leave. You had just finished getting dressed when a maid entered.

"King Lists requests that all the woman and men wear masks to the party." As you take the mask, you ask why. "He intends on finding his bride here." You nod at this. Masquerades were certainly going to make things difficult, but you still had enough information to figure out who would be the man Scarlet wanted. You put on the mask and headed to the party.

You survey the men. Though half of their faces were covered, you could tell who was more handsome than the others. You are standing near a wall when you see a man offer you his hand.

"May I have this dance?" You only nod and take his hand. The man looked handsome enough. Scarlet shouldn't have any complaints. The man talks to you about things, and you only nod or shake your head. You interject only when you find it necessary and on occasion laugh at his jokes.