Pisces

You were the wife of lord. But marriage was far from bliss. Your parents arranged your marriage, and you hadn't even met him until the day of your actual marriage. You thought you would be happy together, but you were wrong. In front of others, he was a charming man who could fool anyone. Once alone, he was mean and never really paid attention to you, unless you did something that would "ruin" him.

You weren't allowed to do many things when you were living together. You couldn't eat the foods you once loved, as he said if you gain too much weight, you wouldn't be suitable for his wife. You weren't even allowed to talk to guest unless they spoke to you directly. And if you said something wrong, you would go back to your room with a bruise on your face.

It was terrible, and you couldn't even tell your parents about it. What's worse was that, even if you did tell, no one would believe you. You spent most of your time in your room when your husband called.

"A painter is coming here in an hour to paint our portraits," he says without much care. "Make sure you look your best and be there on time." You nod.

"I will do my best to please you," you reply. Your husband was a man who enjoyed the arts and commissioned many paintings. Most of his paintings were done by Stefan Dontelle; he was a man who was very creative, and you understood why your husband loved his artwork so much. If you were to make a mistake, no doubt would you be in trouble with him. You have a maid dress you at the finest and you barely make it.

You see your husband talking to a blond man. When your husband sees you, he smiles.

"Ah, my dearest," he says walking up to you. "This is the artist, Stefan Dontelle. He will be painting our portrait." You smile at Stefan.

"An honor to meet you, Mr Dontelle. I have seen your art. I understand why my husband adores your work." Stefan smiles and kisses your hand.

"Nothing pleases me more than hearing that from my most frequent client," he replies. You are then guided to a room where there is a chair. "I believe your wife should be sitting on the chair with you holding her shoulder from behind."

"Of course," your husband replies. Both of you do what Stefan says and pose for a while. Soon after, a draft of the painting is done. All that was needed was color. "By the end of three days, will the painting be done."

"Ah, I see," your husband replies. "I will be gone for about a month." You turn to your husband. He never told you that. "I was wondering if you would be able to paint me a mural in the foyer. The place looks too bland. Certainly, it would look better with some color."

"I am honored to be granted to do such tasks. If it pleases you, shall I have it done by the time you return."

"I would be delighted." Stefan soon leaves, and you are left with your husband who glares at you. "Like I said earlier, I will be gone for a month. Do not do anything that would disgrace the family name." You look down.

"I understand," you reply.

"Good. You will overlook the painting process so he won't get suspicious of our relationship and if you dare tell, you know what will happen."

"...I won't utter a word." He soon leaves you alone. A lone tear falls. Just once you wanted your husband to smile at you genuinely. You wipe away your tear unaware that Stefan had seen everything.

Your husband leaves, and Stefan begins to finish the portrait and starts the mural. You overlook the paintings and marvel.

"You really are amazing," you say smiling at the portrait of your husband and you." The two of you looked happy unlike in reality. Stefan smiles at you.

"I am pleased to know you love the painting." You turn to him, "Did my husband tell you any specific details as to how the mural in the foyer was supposed to look?"

"No. He said he would give me free reign over it."

"I see. Well, whatever work you produce, I am sure it will be wonderful." You were about to leave when Stefan grabbed your arm. You turn to face him.

"Oh, I am so sorry," he says realizing he grabbed your arm. "Anyway, since I was given free reign, is there anything you would like me to do?" You think for a moment before shaking your head.

"My husband wouldn't like me interfering with your creative process."

"If he doesn't know, it is okay, right?" He smiles. "Besides, I also wouldn't want to make your husband mad. So whatever you tell me, I promise it will be a secret." You consider his words before responding.

"I want you to paint something that conveys a happy family." You wanted him to paint something you yearned for. Something you were never going to get.

"I will do my best," he replies. Since then, you had been checking in on him to see his progress on the painting. Every now and then you would make small talk, and he would always listen to what he had to say. He was so calm and nice, and you wanted to tell him your life with your husband but always held back.

While you were checking on him, he stops you.

"You are a sweet woman F/n. I know what kind of man your husband is." You stiffen at this. You had done your best to keep it a secret, and you know your actions never gave you away.

"What are you talking about? My husband and I get along great."

"I saw what happen that day. When he commissioned me to do the mural. I saw what happened." You shake your head no.

"You can't tell anyone. He will get angry."

"I promise I won't say a thing, but you shouldn't be treated this way. You deserve better than this."

"Maybe I do, but this is the life I have. I am going to just have to work around it." There is a long silence between you two before he speaks up.

"I understand. If you want to talk, I will listen." You smile as he understood your feelings. You do explain what has happened and your feelings. The more Stefan heard, the more guilty he felt. Your husband was a client of his for years, and yet he never knew about your situation until now. Something must be done.

It was late in the night when your husband arrived. You were already asleep but Stefan was loading up his supplies and putting away paints and brushes when your husband saw the painting. The foyer was only lit by torches on the wall but even then he could see the art.

"Magnificent as always." Your husband exclaims as Stefan was about to put away some turpentine. "I am really thankful you did this. How much?" Stefan turns to him with a serious look.

"My price is that you stop abusing your own wife." Your husband glares.

"She told you, didn't she? That b!tch. I thought she knew better." He then goes on a rant about how you were worthless. This angers Stefan greatly. Before he knows it, your husband is lying on the ground from choking on the now nearly empty bottle of turpentine. Stefan was beginning to panic. He then saw a torch. He took it and spilled what remained of the turpentine on your husband before lighting him on fire. Now that was taken care of, he had to find you.

You awoke to incessant knocking on the door and you open it to see Stefan.

"Run away with me F/n. I will take you to a happier place than this. I will treat you the way you deserved." You were going to say no, but you saw the look in his eyes. He had treated you kindly, and you knew you would be happier with him. With a few hesitations, you take his hand and leave the house you once lived in. You changed your name as did Stefan and never did learn from him what had happened to your husband.

Edited by WrappedInABlanket