Chapter Three

Two days had passed since I last looked at the sheet Mrs. Moore's assignment. I couldn't fathom even the possibility of handing in an essay which was anything less than my best work. I picked up my phone and scanned my finger. "Already eight?" I muttered in a daze. I opened my Instagram and checked the comments on my post from before. It was the same things over and over again. I groaned and got out of bed, placing my phone back on my bed side table. 

I walked to the bathroom, just down the hall from my bedroom, and washed my face and brushing my teeth. I ran down the steps to the kitchen, finding no one there. "I don't know why I expected anything." I sighed and pulled out the pancake mix, milk, and eggs. I whipped up a batch of pancakes, placed them on the island, and walked back up to my room. I flopped back onto the bed, staring up at the ceiling. "Who am I?" 

I rolled to my desk and pulled out a pencil and paper. "Who am I?" I muttered under my breath. I began to write random words on the paper. I finished the piece, but found nothing that seemed to... connect. "Why won't this work?" I yelled, stuffing my face in a pillow. "Maybe Audre can help me." I picked up my phone and tapped on messages. I found her name and began to type. 

Hey, Audre, I need some help.

I waited a couple minutes before three dots popped onto my screen. 

Hey, what's up?

She responded.

I don't know what to write for the essay in english.

I typed quickly, sending it immediately.

Just write about yourself, that is the assignment.

She sent a laughing emoji and one with it's tongue sticking out.

That's the thing... I don't know who I am.

The three dots popped up again.

I know! You should do things you're uncomfortable doing, then you'll find what you do like and what you don't. You'll meet new people and you'll find out who you are. You'll be a whole new you!

I sent back a smiley face with a heart, thinking about the idea. "It's not preposterous." I whispered as another message vibrated my phone.

I'll give you challenges to do and everyday you have to post a picture of yourself doing it with the caption,"How To Be Perfect, Challenge ___: In/Completed." And after that, you have to write something you learned and post it on Instagram.

At first, it sounded fun and enlightening, but then I realized there was a lot more to this. There were things I couldn't do.

What about things I can't do? Like... skipping school?

I waited anxiously, hoping she would say that I'd get a say in the challenges, but somewhere inside me... I knew I wanted this.

You can't say no. You have to do them... no matter what.

My chest seemed to burst, somewhat in happiness and somewhat in anxiety. "She's my best friend, she won't make me do anything rash, will she?" I breathed in and out, deeply. "It's okay, Sophia. She won't do anything rash." I calmed myself before texting back.

Ok.

I expected our chat to stop, but the three dots popped up once again.

Challenge one: Sneak out tonight.

My breath held in my lungs.

What?

Anxiety filled my chest, just by thinking about the rules I'd be breaking. 

You have to do it.

I sucked up my breath and began typing.

Fine. 

She sent back a smiley face, but I didn't respond. I fell back on my bed and dropped my phone beside me. "This is going to be one hell of an assignment."