Challenge #3 {Part Two}

It was almost time for last period to end and I was staring at the clock anxiously. At lunch, we had made friends with the whole table, but they were still a bit uncomfortable towards us. As soon as the bell rang, I threw on my backpack and ran out the door, the students and teacher eyeing me with confused expressions. Once I was outside the classroom, I ran down the hall to a science class. One which Audre, and coincidentally also Kai, had last period every other day.

By the door, a group of guys leaned against the wall, all chuckling and talking. Even from far away, I could recognize Kai's gleaming green eyes. They were wide open and happy, looking up at the ceiling as he chuckled joyously. He spotted me and said something to his friends quickly. They all smacked his shoulder as he ran over to me. I held my books tight, an odd nervousness originating in my stomach. 

"Hey, Soph!" His boyish voice was like a sweet song to me. For no reason that I could identify, my heart began to speed up. I began to feel my cheeks heat up as I talked to him.

"He-I mean hi, K-Kai." I stuttered, feeling overwhelmed. 'What is happening to me? Oh my god, calm down, Sophia.' I scolded myself.

"So, you wanna hang out? We can go somewhere for a while." He smiled at me, while offering to hold my books. 

"Oh, uh, sure!" I replied quickly, almost too quickly. Immediately, my mind began screaming at me. 'Mother isn't going to let you stay out! What were you thinking? Mother and Father will kill you! Now, you can't back out either. Such an idiot.' 

"Where do you wanna go?" Kai asked, his demeanor much calmer than mine. 

"H-how about a bookstore? I've been meaning to get this one bo..." I trailed off before I even finished the last word in my sentence. Kai burst out laughing beside me, clutching his stomach like I had said something absolutely hilarious. We were off campus now, on the sidewalk. "What's so funny...?" I asked, getting slightly angrier. 

"You want to go to a bookstore? That's so nerdy!" He laughed, making me feel inferior, almost like it was wrong for me to like books. 

I stopped in the middle of the street, a furious expression dawning my face. Kai stopped laughing immediately, realizing the mistake he had made. "Reading isn't wrong or funny. Books are like a vacation from reality. Books have affected me in a way you'll never know!" I glared at the boy, anger surging through my veins. I turned to walk away, but his hand caught my wrist. I looked up at him, his green eyes shining with regret and some other, happier, element.

"...what if I want to know?" he replied in a husky, deeper voice. 

A deep red blush heated up my cheeks as he pulled me close, his breath brushing past my skin. We were so close that we would be kissing if either one of us moved even a little bit closer. Oddly enough, a strong urge to lean in. Our eyes met, a silent agreement was made as I leaned up, pressing my soft lips against his. So, there we stood. Two teenagers on the side of the road, kissing. He didn't realize it, but he had just stolen my first kiss. 

Slowly, he pulled away, his hand still wrapped around my wrist. He leaned his forehead against mine, a small smile playing on his lips. "Sophie..." he tsked, mischievously. "Naughty, naughty Sophie. Kissing a guy out in public." He smirked, standing straight up. 

I blushed at his words, beginning to get defensive. "H-hey! It wasn't my fault! You were the one that pulled me close!" I couldn't meet his soft gaze.

"But, you were the one that leaned in." His hand trailed down to mine. I wrapped my hand around his, enjoying the warmth it gave me as we walked down the street. Excitement began to take over my thoughts as we reached the bookstore. I burst through the doors and began running around like a child. The first aisle I ran into was the fantasy aisle, not even realizing that there was another person around us.

The bookstore had a rustic feel, the bookshelves an old creaky wood and the floors were an old-timey carpet. The walls were just plain panels of wood as well. I spotted a book titled A Cracked Crown which was lying beside three other books all following the same pattern. A Broken Sword, A Shattered Queen, and A Fallen Past. I reached for the third book, but my hand landed on the book at the same time as another, pale hand. I looked up with a smile, a girl around my age stood right next to me. She had blonde, shoulder length hair and quiet-like blue eyes. She grinned at me,"You like this series too?"

"Of course! It's my absolute favorite!" I squealed. "What about you?"

"Same!" She squealed back. "I've read the whole series, but my mom sold all my books. I just moved out, so I'm buying it again!" She chuckled.

"I haven't finished the series, but I really want to know what happens now that Iris is queen! I mean, she'll make a great queen, but will Owen be her king?" I giggled with the girl.

"Well, I can't spoil anything, but it's certainly not what you expect." She giggled back. I was just about to reply, but Kai laid a hand on my shoulder and pointed to my purse. My phone was blincking. 

"Oh, sorry. Lemme just take a look at this." I smiled apologetically, pulling out my phone.

"Hey, you still haven't completed your challenge. You had to make one friend, not six. ;) Plus, I don't think they really consider you a friend yet, anyway." Audre had texted me. 

"Ok," I replied, slipping the phone back into my purse's pocket. I looked up at the blue eyed girl. "I'm Sophia and this is Kai," I pointed my thumb at him. "what's your name?" 

"I'm Crystal." She laughed nervously. "It's an odd name, I know."

"It's beautiful." I smiled softly. "Well, you can have the book if you want. I can find it somewhere else."

"No! It's fine! I've already read the series anyway, I'll go get it somewhere else." She pulled the book out and stuffed it in my arms. 

"Let's go get it together." I grinned, thanking her. "Also, I might as well get the last book. I'll need eventually." I pulled out the last book. "But first! Let's selfie with them." I pulled out my phone and took a selfie with my new friend.

"Let's checkout." Crystal led the way. I placed the book in front of the dull, tired-looking cashier. 

Before I could pull out my wallet, Kai pushed my back. "How much?" 

"$40.00" The green eyed boy pulled two twenties out of his pocket and handed them to the cashier. I picked up my bag of books, then hit Kai's shoulder.

"Why'd you do that? I could've paid myself." I whispered angrily.

He leaned down to my ear and whispered,"Now, why would I let a beautiful girl like you do that?" 

I blushed and hit his chest. "You're an idiot, you know that?" I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"I see there's something going on there." Smirked Crystal as we walked down the street. "Well, maybe we can meet up tomorrow and go book shopping." The blonde haired girl smiled as she turned to the next road.

"Yea, sure! Let me give you my number." I smiled as she gave me her phone. I typed in my number and handed it back to her. "See you tomorrow." I waved to her fading body. 

I took ahold of Kai's hand. "Sorry for ignoring you this whole time. Maybe we can meet up later?"

The frown on his face immediately disappeared, being replaced with a smile. "Of course. Seven o'clock?" 

"Sure." I  let go of his and turned into my neighborhood, waving back at him. "See you later!"