Chapter Six

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP

My alarm screeched in a desperate attempt to wake me up. I sighed and rolled my eyes, smashing my bedside table, trying to find the alarm. I shut off the incessant sound and picked up my phone to check for any notifications. As soon as the screen lit up, a message from Audre popped up. "This early? What is this girl?" I clicked on her message, slightly glad it was Sunday and slightly annoyed. The first thing I noticed about the message was that it was in all caps. 

'SOPHIE! OMG! I JUST FOUND OUT KAI LIKES YOU!' My heart stopped the second I read the word like.

'Uhm... what? That can't be true!' I felt like I was going to burst. Kai had been Audre's guy best friend since she was three, but they had a falling out in 9th grade.

'It is! I'm so happy! Ahhhh!' She sent, followed by a smiley face. I sat there in shock and confusion. 

'But, Audre... I don't like him like that.' I slumped down farther into my fluffy white blanket. I hated turning guys down, I had done it too many times. It was funny how so many people liked me, but I had never liked anyone.

'You don't like anyone, I know, but I think you should get to know him.' I felt a small blush creep up to my cheeks. I never hung out with guys for too long, it was... inappropriate. At least, that was what my mom had always taught me.

'I don't know...' I sent back, unsure about her proposal. 

 'Okay, it's settled. Challenge #2 is to hang out with any guy the whole day. My pick is Kai, but you can choose whoever.' Even though she didn't send the rolling eyes emoji, I knew she had done just that. 

'That's so unfair, but fine. I don't know any guys I'd hang out with all day with so, I'll hang with Kai. I'll text him soon, but how am I supposed to caption a selfie or something with Challenge #2 completed? That'll seem so mean!' Just thinking about his reaction to a post like that made me sick.

'Then tell him the situation, I'm sure he'll understand.' I knew that was all I could do, but I felt like he wouldn't appreciate that I was only hanging out with him for a challenge.

'Fine...' I texted back and clicked onto Kai's contact. 

'Hey, Kai. How are you?' I awaited his reply in bed, ignoring the sound of footsteps in the hallway.

'Hey. I'm good, how're you?' Kai texted back a couple minutes later. 

'I'm good! Thanks for asking! I wanted to know if you were doing anything today, maybe we could hang out?' I sent with shaky fingers.

'Oh! I don't have any plans, so sure! When do you wanna meet up?' He sent with a smiley face.

'Let's meet up at Springfield National Park in an hour.' 

'Wow, that soon? Sure, I'll meet you there.' 

I clicked off my phone and placed it on my bedside table. I flipped my blanket off my feet and jumped out of bed. "I don't want to make breakfast today, I'm tired..." I groaned as I picked up my brush and began to detangle my hair. "But, I'll have to do it if I want mom to let me go anywhere." I let my hair to stay down and changed into a knee-length red dress with a short jean jacket. I pulled out a cute leather bag and a pair of black converse. I picked up my phone and dropped it into my bag.

I opened the door to my bedroom and entered the hallway, taking small steps toward the bathroom. After washing up and brushing my teeth, I headed downstairs to prepare breakfast for everyone, but someone was already in the kitchen. I thought that maybe mother had woken up to make my breakfast, but it was only my older brother. "Oh, you woke up late so I made my own breakfast." He stuffed a sandwich in his mouth and walked past me, out of the kitchen, while muttering,"Useless sister." 

I let out a small sigh and turned around,"Sorry, I'll make your favorite tomorrow." I placed my bag on the island before starting anything. I headed to the fridge and pulled out the egg carton. I prepared some scrambled eggs quickly, leaving them in separate trays with each person's name on them. I picked up my bag by its thin leather strap, placing it on my shoulder. I wrote a quick note telling my parents that I was heading out for the day. When I checked the time, forty minutes had already passed. "Oh! I have to get going!" I ran to the front door, grabbing my keys, and locking the door before leaving.