Chapter Thirteen

Her small voice shook me to the core. Today was the day and I had forgotten, we all had. "S-Sophia?" She cried out again. My eyes dare not drift to her small form standing in my doorway. 

"Hey..." Kai whispered softly, walking up to her. He got down on one knee and smiled at her. "What's your name?" He lifted his hand and wiped the tears from the little girl's eyes. 

"Bailee..." She spoke quietly, her gaze falling to the floor. "What happened to Sophie?" Her big blue eyes focused on the carpet.

"Nothing, she's fine." Kai paused, searching for a good lie. "Soph is just resting up. The girl got hit by a basketball, isn't that silly?" He flashed the little girl a smile, pulling her into his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Are wou lying?" She looked into his bright green eyes with hope.

"Of course not! I'm Kai, by the way." He stood up, holding Bailee in his arms. 

"Are wou Sophia's bowfwend?" She stretched the boy in boyfriend, a small smirk on her face. Kai's eyes widened and his cheeks reddened. 

He laughed it off,"No, I'm just a friend."

"Aww," she pouted. "She weally nweeds one. She always tating about it." 

I gasped and pointed an accusing finger at the little girl. "You liar!" I crossed my arms in fake anger. 

"But, big sissy! I'm not wying!" She jumped out of Kai's arms and ran to me. She wobbled on her stubby feet. The girl was only five years old and still struggled with words because she had Down Sydrome. I knew she had noticed the long look Kai had given her when he first saw her, but she wouldn't say anything. She was used to it, she didn't look like normal kids. 

Kai, Bailee, and I sat on my bed, talking while waiting for Audre. "Kai, I hwav Down Syndome." She gave him a small smile. "I wook weiwd becaus me down syndome." She said with long spaces. 

Kai shook his head and hugged her. "You don't look weird! You're absolutely adorable." He pinched her cheeks. She had smaller eyes and nose, but she really was adorable. I looked at Kai adoringly, he and Audre were the only ones to treat her so nicely before even meeting her properly. "But, Sophie, how come she wasn't here before?"

"Oh." I laughed a little. "My mother and father wanted to 'fix' her, so they sent her to this camp that helps kids learn to speak. She's gotten much better since the last time I saw her." I said in a sqeaky voice, playing with her hands. 

"Fix? That's messed up." Kai crossed his arms in an annoyed manner. "Wait, when did your dad even leave?" He looked at where my father was sitting before.

"He probably left while we were talking." I shrugged. "And he's my father, not dad." I whispered.

"Sophie!" Someone shouted from the living room, their footsteps approaching my room. "I'm here!" Audre made a dramatic entrance. "Oh! My favorite girl is back!" Audre lifted Bailee and spun her around, resting the little girl on her hip. "So what happened?" she asked.

A/N Hey, guys! Sorry for the crappy chapter, kind of busy today. Question: What is your favorite book?

Mine is Frost by Erin Latimer