Chapter 2: Different, Definitely Different

Friday, June 30th...
*First Draft*

"Don't forget the two extra sides of fries!" I call out to Ramon as he walks back into the kitchen. I lean back against the counter with a tired sigh, my eyes sweeping over the room.

It's currently 1:34 P.M. The lunch rush has just finished, leaving only a few customers and everyone tired and mildly flustered. Being called on left and right for an hour tends to do that to people.

I use a towel to wipe my hands off, absentmindedly glancing over at the entrance as I purse my lips.

I wonder when they'll be here?

Today is indeed Friday, June 30th. The day our friends, our bff's, are supposed to resurface, so to speak. You could say I'm a little anxious. I mean, I haven't seen them in over ten years. What if they don't like me anymore?

I'm not dumb. It's obviously going to be a little awkward with all things considering. But I'm confident we can push through it and pick up where we left off.

Minus the whole six year-old play of course.

Mom had said they'd be here around lunch time, yet so far they're a no show. You could say my attention has snapped over to the entrance every time I so much as hear a footstep.

I adjust a few bobby-pins that are currently working on slipping free from my hair, curse them, blowing a particular, longer, strand away from my face. I almost choke on air as a woman unexpectedly walks through the closed doors.

I take in her roughly five-foot-seven height, petite build with curves that'd make any woman jealous, her lightly freckled tan face, and large brown doe-like eyes that seem to pop off her face.

It's-

"Nadine!" Mom abruptly yells from my right as she pops out of the kitchen, causing said person to swing her head over in that direction, her wavy auburn hair moving with the sudden jerk. "Caitlyn!" Nadine returns, a large smile igniting across her face that causes her pearly white teeth to shine.

I always wondered why she chose professional cooking when she could obviously be a successful model. I mean, she's in her late thirties and still looks this good!

They embrace halfway between the entrance and the counter, each speaking so fast I literally have no idea what they're saying, eyes sparkling with joy, and yes, possibly tears.

Now I sound sappy.

I hesitantly push myself off from the counter, glancing over at Cathy who's watching the reunion with a half smile on her face as she works to clean a booth off. She nods to me, signaling she'll take my lanes, motioning with her chin for me to go over.

They continue to speak in rushed, quick spurts, looking each other over and complementing on how good they each still look.

Geez.

I lightly shake my head in amusement, walking forward. I peer around Nadine as I spot movement from behind her, and that's when I realize she's not by herself.

Nadine gently pulls a smaller figure forward from behind her, a proud glint in her eye. A ten year-old girl with a giant smile on her face moves to stand in front of Nadine, looking up at Mom with large, light blue eyes that compliment her ridiculously freckled face and cropped bangs right above her eyebrows.

One word for her: adorable.

"Cat, this is Paige." Nadine introduces, using her famous nickname she's apparently used since kindergarten. "Paige, this is my friend I was telling you about, Caitlyn." She looks between the two, setting a hand on Paige's head before running her fingers through her mid-back brown hair.