Chapter 13: Bowling Anyone?

Tuesday, July 18th. Nicki's POV. . . .
*First Draft*

I lean forward so I stand closer to the mirror, peering closer at my hair as I 'attempt' to use my curling iron to smooth my hair. Grabbing the last strand of my naturally wavy hair to the left of my face, I clip the device in, holding it just as instructed as I prepare to slide it down.

Right as I begin the downward movement, my phone, that's sitting on the sink to my right, lights up with a loud buzz.

My eyes unconsciously move from my hair, down to the phone screen.

I suck in a breath as a hot stab ignites on my left index finger. "Holly mother of-" I pull the hot iron off, holding it in front of my face a ways as I stick my smarting piece of skin in my mouth while I practically dance in place.

So I basically look like a ballistic monkey.

Taking my finger out to examine it, I place the hot iron down on the edge of the sink, turning my wrist to look my finger over. Nothing but a small red area.

"Well shoot," I mutter to myself, mentally banging my head on the wall for overreacting like the wimp I am. You'd think I'd just sliced my finger off or something.

In my defense, it did hurt.

Waving my injured hand in the air like a piece of paper, I reach down with my other hand, grabbing the phone off its perch. I furrow my brows as I read the text, and I scoff before I even realize I'd done it.

Scrooge < "Hey. Sorry I ruined the run on Saturday."

So now he's blaming himself. Why does that seem so cliché?

Me < "Don't do that."

Scrooge < ".....Do what exactly? 🤨"

Me < "Blame yourself. It wasn't your fault."

Scrooge < "Sure seems like it to me."

Me < "Ugh. U men are all alike. 🙄"

Scrooge < "I'm offended - among plenty of other 'men' I'm sure."

I resist the urge to make the same face of the emoji I just sent

Me < "You feeling ok now?"

Scrooge < "As good as can be expected after having a giant migraine."

Me < "Be serious."

Scrooge < "Ok, ok. I'm doing good now - Obviously if I can use my phone."

Me < "Don't be smart with me."

Scrooge < "Dunno what you mean? 🤷🏻‍♂️"

I can just imagine the smug smile on his face and the hallo above his head right now. Sweet and innocent as all get out.

Me < "Whatever. Does that mean you're going bowling with us?"

Yesterday I ended up working while Edward, being the good boy he is, watched Drew and Saige at their house. Apparently he's taking me out of the babysitting job while he's available. Screw him. But anyway, he invited me to go bowling with him, and possibly Drew if he was feeling up to it, today around seven.

Which is why I'm currently back early from the diner after working today too, attempting to make myself look a little more presentable. Not that there's a real reason to...you know?