Chapter 7: Back To Square One

Continued....
*First Draft*

Five minutes goes by before Drew finally straightens back up, obvious tear tracks on his cheeks and his face weary and tired. He wipes at his face as we walk up to him, and he seems to shrink up at our approach, as if expecting the worse.

Saige wordlessly sits down next to him, reaching over to intertwine her hand with his.

Is this a bad time to say aww?

"We should probably go home now." I hesitantly tell them, still unsure what to make of Drew's reaction, and Saige immediately looks up at me with wide eyes. "No! Can't we stay a little longer?" She pleads. "I promise I'll hold somebody's hand the whole time!" She stares up at me with wide, bright blue eyes.

No. Be strong Nicki. Don't get sucked up.....

"Ugh, Okay." I relent. "But only if Drew agrees." I quickly add, glancing over at him. Saige immediately leans up against him, peering up with that same innocent look on her face I caved on.

I don't know though. After the whole 'losing Saige' thing, plus whatever...that was with Drew, I'm kinda beat.

He seems completely apposed to the idea of staying. But his tired face brightens slightly at Saige's begging, telling me she's got everyone under her thumb, and he swallows thickly before replying.

"Okay," He says just barely above a whisper, giving her a timid smile. Saige giggles, standing up before pulling Drew up as well. He avoids my eyes, scrunching his shoulder together at his neck as he starts to fiddle with his bracelets on his left wrist.

And it looks like we're back to awkward.

*Time Skip*

I pluck a handful of the fluffy pink cotton candy off from the white stick Saige is currently holding, gazing up at the corn dog stand.

Maybe we should've gotten the cotton candy after lunch?

"Three corndogs, please." I tell the man over the counter, who's wearing a ridiculous yellow and white striped cap and a matching apron. He nods, ringing up the total before looking back down at me. I hand him up the correct sum of money, feeling my stomach rumble for something more than just sugar.

It's been a really long and stressful day. And it's only 1:30 P.M.

He takes the cash, then disappears a minute before returning with three white trays each containing their own corn dogs. I take them as he holds them down to me, giving him one final smile before walking away.

I walk back over to Saige, and a once again moody, Drew. He stubbornly crosses his arms, looking away from me as I hold one out to him. Saige eagerly takes hers, squirting a drizzle of ketchup, provided by the seller, over it from the table setup next to the trailer.

I give Drew a exasperated look. "Come on. I know you must be hungry by now." I wave the paper container in front of him. "You're not a vegetarian, right?" His frown deepens. "No..." I cut him off with a wave of my hand. "Then there shouldn't be a problem." I eye him, daring him to challenge me.

What? If Nadine catches wind I didn't feed, or at least attempt to feed him, I'll be paying for it.

"I already told you I didn't want anything," He reminds me, as if I needed reminded, unfolding his arms from his chest. No more is he the kid who was crying no more than a couple hours ago. Now he's back to his usual snappy and grumpy self.

It's about gotten me to the end of my rope.

He's also refused to go on any of the rides Saige and I went on. Resorting to standing on the sidelines with a tense air about him as we have all the fun. I mean, maybe I shouldn't blame him after what happened earlier. He may not feel like doing anything.